Orientation year

After graduating from Radboud University, international students can stay in the Netherlands to find a job. If you're looking for a job during your studies as a non-EU student, please go this page.

  • If you have an EU nationality, you don’t need a permit to work in the Netherlands.
  • If you are a graduate from Croatia or a country outside the EEA, you are allowed to spend one year in the Netherlands to find a job as a highly-skilled migrant.

Orientation year

The orientation year permit gives you access to the Dutch labour market. You apply for this permit at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND), either before the exploration date of your student residence permit up to three years after graduating if you wish to travel abroad first.

After obtaining a Bachelor's or Master's degree from a research university or university of applied sciences in the Netherlands, non-European students can apply for a residence permit under the ‘Orientation Year for Graduates Seeking Employment' (Zoekjaar afgestudeerde) scheme. This allows you to spend a period of up to twelve months in the Netherlands to find employment.

During your orientation year, you have free access to the Dutch labour market. This means that your employer does not need to apply for a work permit. When your orientation year is over, you will need to change your residence permit. Having completed the orientation year will enable you to apply for the 'Highly Skilled Migrants scheme' (Kennismigrantenregeling) under more favourable terms, as the salary requirement is lower than for other applicants.

The fee for the orientation year is €171 and is valid for 12 months. During your orientation year, you cannot apply for benefits from the Dutch state, such as welfare or unemployment benefits. The orientation year cannot be extended.

How to apply for the orientation year

You need to apply for the orientation year in the Netherlands yourself. At the website of the IND, you can find all the information you need. You can also visit the website of Nuffic for more information.

Dutch healthcare insurance

When you start working, you will need to take out basic Dutch healthcare insurance. You can find more information on this page.

More information

You can find interesting information about working after your studies on these websites: Study in Holland or NL alumni network.