Working during your studies

Employment in the Netherlands comes with certain conditions. On this page, you will find more information about working next to your studies. You can also read about the part-time job of an international blogger from Radboud University on this page.

If you're looking for a job after your studies as a non-EU student, please go this page.

On this page, you'll find information about:

Work permit

Whether you need a work permit to work in the Netherlands depends on your nationality.

No work permit required: Residents of the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland.

Work permit required: Residents of all other countries.

If your nationality requires you to have a work permit to work while studying in the Netherlands, please note that you must choose between the following two options, regarding the hours and periods of time that you make work in the Netherlands. Please note that you can't do both!

  • You do seasonal work in June, July and August. Both part-time and full-time are allowed


  • Part-time work throughout the year, but no more than 16 hours per week.

These limitations do not apply to residents of the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland. They may work full-time, just like Dutch students. The permit is free of charge.

Requesting a work permit via your employer

Your (future) employer must request a work permit for you at the UWV. They must submit your residence permit and prove that you are registered as a student. This takes about five weeks.

Citizen service number

In order to work in the Netherlands, you need a Citizen Service Number (burgerservicenummer, BSN). This number means you are registered in the tax and social security system. Every person living in the Netherlands must have one. You will automatically receive a BSN when you register with the municipality. You can read more about a BSN in the information guide.

Dutch basis healthcare insurance

Anyone over the age of 18, who lives or works in the Netherlands must take out basic healthcare insurance. Basic healthcare insurance covers the standard costs of the GP, hospital and pharmacy for example. Make sure you are well-insured at all times. This insurance needs to start the day you start your job. For more questions about when and how to apply for health insurance in the Netherlands, please consult this website or the Radboud information guide for international students.

Where to find jobs?

Find job openings via Career Central

Career Central is the community for everything the university has to offer besides and after your studies. We help you with relevant side jobs and internships during your studies. We also help you to find your first job and even afterwards, during your career. Wo do this by bringing you into contact with former students who are happy to help you with your questions about specific industries and by offering guidance even after you graduate. Also, we do this by listing the best vacancies for you.

Jobs on campus

Students from Radboud University who would like to work during their study may be able to find a job on campus via Campus Detachering. Campus Detachering is the secondment agency of Radboud University and the central place for student jobs within the university.

You can also ask your professor or study advisor if there is any possibility to work as a student assistant in one of the courses of your study program.


Do you have questions about working in the Netherlands? Please make an appointment with the Career Officer at your faculty. General information about the Dutch business culture and learning the Dutch language can be found here.