Corpus NGT for researchers
The Corpus NGT is an open access online corpus of (partly annotated) dialogues between native users of Sign Language of the Netherlands (abbreviated as SLN or NGT). Most of the Corpus NGT can be accessed through The Language Archive of the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics in Nijmegen. It is available for research and other uses through a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license. Downloading or using parts of the corpus implies your agreement with the terms of this license. For a small number of sessions, the signers have not given permission for public use. These will not be accessible for anonymous users in The Language Archive or through this website.
The latest release of the annotation files is also available as a ZIP file (zip, 14 MB), along with the annotation conventions (pdf, 2 MB). Easy access for the general public is provided at the Dutch site, where movies of pairs of signers with interpreter voice-over (if available) are offered.
The Corpus NGT (92 signers, 72 hours) was created by Onno Crasborn, Inge Zwitserlood & Johan Ros at Radboud University between 2008-2011. An additional 12 signers were recorded in 2018 (no annotations available). Over the years, additional and correct annotations have been published in a series of releases; the present one is the fourth release from 2020. Users who add systematic annotations are requested to share these with us, for distribution in future releases.
Referring to the corpus
To refer to the Corpus NGT in accordance with the Creative Commons ‘BY’ clause, please use both of the following references:
- Onno Crasborn, Inge Zwitserlood & Johan Ros. 2008. The Corpus NGT. An open access digital corpus of movies with annotations of Sign Language of the Netherlands. Centre for Language Studies, Radboud University Nijmegen.
- Onno Crasborn & Inge Zwitserlood (2008) The Corpus NGT: an online corpus for professionals and laymen, In: Construction and Exploitation of Sign Language Corpora. 3rd Workshop on the Representation and Processing of Sign Languages, O. Crasborn, T. Hanke, E. Efthimiou, I. Zwitserlood & E. Thoutenhoofd, eds. ELDA, Paris. pp 44-49.
Instructions for webmasters
- Corpus NGT release notes for release 4 (September 2020) (pdf, 213 kB)
- Corpus NGT Annotation Conventions (v4; July 2020) (pdf, 2 MB) (pdf, 2 MB)
- Corpus NGT Annotation Conventions (v3; May 2015) (pdf, 30 MB) (DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.1779.4649)