Programme of B2
The second year is largely fixed, with some electives in the 4th period. Knowledge of all fields of chemistry is extended and the relevant physical and mathematical background is deepened.
In the fourth period (Q4) you can choose between physical chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry.
Q3 and Q4 offer some elective space. You can use this to take the compulsory courses in Philosophy or in Writing Skills, but you can also use it for any other course you think fits your interests.
In choosing electives you need to take into account that half of the elective space in your programme must be used for priority elective. You can find the list of priority electives here.
Some of the non-chemistry electives may be taught in Dutch. Check the course descriptions for the language of instruction. You can ask the lecturer if he is willing to use English.
Priority electives in the 3rd Quarter:
- NWI-MOL035 Chemistry and society (3 EC)
- NWI-MOL043 Bioinorganic Chemistry (3 EC)
- NWI-MOL108 Magnetic Resonance in Chemistry (3 EC). This course is a prerequisite for NWI-MOL110 which is taught in the third year.
Writing skills and Philosophy
- NWI-FCEM02B Writing about Science can be taken in any quarter but the second.
- NWI-FFIL101 Philosophy is scheduled in the first (Q1) and second (Q2) quarter
Q1: aimed at physics topics, in Dutch
Q2: aimed at molecular topics, in English
- NWI-FFIL100 Philosophy is scheduled in the fourth period (Q4) and treats topics from biology.