Zoek in de site...

Types of minors

The following types of minors are offered:

1. Faculty minor (15 EC)
2. Programme minors (15 or 30 EC)
3. The internship minor (15 EC)
4. The study abroad minor (15 or 30 EC)
5. The elective minor (15 EC)

In addition, there are bridging programmes.

Faculty minor

The faculty offers the following faculty minors:

  • Data and Society
  • Journalism

The courses from the faculty minors are given on fixed days and times as often as possible to ensure that you can take at least one faculty minor without having the courses coincide with the courses from a major. The days and times are Monday, Wednesday or Thursday, from 3.45 pm until 5.30 pm or 6.30 pm.

This minor category also includes the following minors, in which the Faculty of Arts collaborates with the Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies:

  • Middle East and North Africa
  • Create Space

If you choose one of the above minors, you do not have to use an elective minor (see below).

A bridging programme is exclusively intended for RU students, seeing as university of applied sciences (HBO) students fall under the RU regulations for the pre-Master. University of applied sciences students can choose to follow a pre-Master's programme (in whole or in part) during their HBO degree via Kies op Maat. For more information, visit https://www.kiesopmaat.nl/.

Programme minors

This minor, which is named after the degree programme, contains selected content from the major of the degree programme and is intended for students outside of that programme (any potential entry requirements must still be observed). This minor from the degree programme is also available for its own students, as long as it is not required as part of the major.  
Unfortunately, it is not possible to account for each student’s timetable when scheduling the course for the programme minors. This means you will only be able to take courses from programme minors if your timetable permits. 

In programme minors, there may be courses that run for the entire year. It is up to you whether to choose these courses. You can choose up to 15 EC of first-year courses when filling your minor space (of 30 EC). It is your own responsibility to ensure your course selection for your minor space meets this requirement. There is no prior approval procedure for this. Once the final examination request has been submitted, it will be checked whether these conditions have been met. If in doubt, you can consult the student advisor of your individual programme about your selection in advance.

Internship minor

The content of the internship depends on the agreements that are made with the organisation offering the internship once the internship has been approved by the degree programme. The organisation of the internship minor is handled through the Faculty of Arts Career Service.

Study abroad minor

This minor is completed by taking courses at a foreign university. The organisation of this minor is handled through the Faculty of Arts International Office.

Elective minor

You may compose a minor yourself from courses inside and/or outside the faculty. This is an “elective minor”. An elective minor must be approved by the Examination Board. An elective minor consists of 15 EC, is cohesive and complete in its content, and involves both introductory and advanced courses.

Bridging programmes

You can use your minor space to prepare yourself for the content of a Master’s programme, especially if you would like to take a Master’s programme that is not directly related to your Bachelor’s programme. A bridging programme consists of a package with a minimum of 30 EC. If the bridging programme is larger than 30 EC, you must invest additional study time to be able to make the switch.
You can find out whether your selected Master’s programme has a bridging programme by checking the prospectus of the degree programme or by asking the student advisor for the degree programme in question. We recommend that you follow such a programme during your regular Bachelor study programme as much as possible, as the portion of the bridging programme that you follow after completing your Bachelor’s is legally considered to fall under the regulations for a “pre-Master” (to be paid for by each EC taken). You can find more information at this website.

A bridging programme is exclusively intended for RU students, seeing as university-level (HBO) students fall under the RU regulations for the pre-Master. If you are coming from a different university, then you can make arrangements with the Examination Board through the student advisor of the relevant Master’s programme regarding the way in which you can compensate for any potential deficiencies (either within the context of a pre-Master or not). During scheduling, it cannot be taken into account that some components of a Bachelor’s programme overlap with a bridging programme. In other words, you can only take a bridging programme if your lecture timetable permits.