Programme of B2
The second year curriculum for the Bachelor’s programme in Molecular Life Sciences is shown in the tables below. Next year, 2020-2021, there will be a new second year curriculum.
At present, quarters 1 and 2 consist of compulsory courses. The specialization phase starts in quarter 3 (see second table), in which you are free to choose combinations of courses that lead to your desired specialization in molecular life sciences.
Second half of the MLS bachelor’s programme
The second half of the MLS bachelor’s programme (90 EC spread over the second and third year) consists of the following components:
- 21 EC of compulsory courses: Philosophy (3 EC; either FFIL100 or FFIL101), Writing about Science (3 EC), Academic Skills (3 EC) and your bachelor internship (12 EC).
- 6 EC of free elective space, to be filled with academic and assessible courses of your own choice
- 63 EC specialisation (differentiation) phase
In the 63 EC specialisation (differentiation) phase, you compose your own programme from the lists of priority courses, limited choice electives and other courses. The exact rules depend on whether you want to take a minor or not:
If you don’t take a minor, your specialisation phase consists of:
- at least 42 EC of priority courses (marked with P)
- a sufficient number of limited choice electives, so that your priority courses and limited choice electives add up to 57 EC
- 6 EC of natural science electives
If you do take a minor, at least 75% of the remaining specialisation phase (i.e. 63 EC minus the size of your minor) must consist of priority courses (P) and the rest should be limited choice electives. Check this table to see how many EC from each group of courses should be taken, given the size of your minor programme.
You will need to use the admission criteria for your future master's programme when choosing courses.
All 6 EC-courses are given on Monday-Tuesday or Thursday-Friday. These courses have overlapping schedules, so you must make a choice.
On Wednesday you can choose from a number of 3-EC courses.
The courses Animal Cell Biology (Q3) and Biochemistry-molecular biology II (Q4) are not compulsory, but do provide basic knowledge for courses and internships given later on.
* not taught in 2019-2020. First opportunity is in year 3, 2020-2021, Q1
NWI-MOL054 Toxicology (6 EC - P)
NWI-BB024B Physiology of Microorganisms (6 EC)
NWI-BB019B Immunology (6 EC - P)
Writing skills and Philosophy
- NWI-FCEM02B Writing about Science can be taken in any quarter but the second.
- NWI-FFIL101 Philosophy is scheduled in the first (Q1) and second (Q2) period
Q1: aimed at physics topics, in Dutch
Q2: aimed at molecular topics, in English
- NWI-FFIL100 Philosophy is scheduled in the fourth period (Q4) and treats topics from biology, in English