Programme of Chemistry for life
We are working on solutions for hybrid education that will take place online and on campus. Therefore the instructional modes, number of exams, the form of the exams and/or assignments may change. You will be informed through Brightspace in case of changes. The course information in the Course guide provides an indication of what you can expect in the course.
In the case of not being able to attend one or more practical courses/lab days due to corona measures, the course coordinator will decide if the student is obligated to re-take the missed meeting and how this will take place.
Please note that this master's programme is no longer available for new students. New master's students can start this specialization in the masters programme of Molecular Sciences, please see the relevant course guide.
For the Master's of Science in Science the complete 120 EC programme of the Chemistry of Life specialisation consists of:
A. compulsory specialisation courses: 15 EC
- NWI-MOL401 Chemical Biology
- NWI-MOL402 Systems Chemistry
- NWI-MOL403 Organic Chemistry of Biomolecules
- NWI-MOL404 Instrumental Analysis in (Bio) Molecular Chemistry
- NWI-MOL410 Omics
One of the 15 EC compulsory courses may be interchanged with a course from another research specialisation available for Science students.
Instead of NWI-MOL401 Chemical Biology (3 ec) and NWI-MOL403 Organic Chemistry of Biomolecules (3 ec) it is allowed to take the course NWI-MOL418 Chemical Biology (6 ec).
B. Research internships: 89 EC
You need to do two internships with a multidisciplinary character. The internships should focus on different disciplines. One of the internships should be related to your specialisation. This internship can be 59 EC or 45 EC.
The specialisation-related internship includes:
- NWI-MOL501A: practical work, master thesis, presentation (33-53 EC).
- NWI-MOL601: a literature thesis (6 EC). The thesis should be related to the specialisation, but on a different topic than the internship.
- Optional specialisation courses relevant to the internship (maximum 6 EC).
The second internship should be in another discipline and can be 30 EC or 44 EC. This internship contains:
- NWI-MOL502A: practical work, master thesis, presentation (24-44 EC).
- Optional courses relevant to the internship (maximum 6 EC).
C. NWI-MOL412 Career orientation: 1 EC
D. Scientific Master's electives: 6 EC
To be approved by the Examination Board. Courses offered at the Faculty of Science are automatically approved.
E. Free electives: 6 EC
F. Philosophy course: 3 EC.