Programme of Physics of Molecules and Materials
We are working on solutions for hybrid education that will take place online and on campus. Therefore the instructional modes, number of exams, the form of the exams and/or assignments may change. You will be informed through Brightspace in case of changes. The course information in the Course guide provides an indication of what you can expect in the course.
In the case of not being able to attend one or more practical courses/lab days due to corona measures, the course coordinator will decide if the student is obligated to re-take the missed meeting and how this will take place.
Please note that this master's programme is no longer available for new students. New master's students can start this specialization in the masters programme of Physics and Astronomy, please see the relevant course guide.
For the Master's of Science in Science the complete 120 EC programme of the Physics of Molecules and Materials specialisation consists of:
A. compulsory specialisation courses: 15 EC
- NWI-NM009B Solid state physics
- NWI-NM089B Molecular Physics
- NWI-NM113 Student Seminar Physics of Molecules and Materials
One of the 15 EC compulsory courses may be interchanged with a course from another research specialisation available for Science students.
B. Research internships: 89 EC
You need to do two internships with a multidisciplinary character. The internships should focus on different disciplines. One of the internships should be related to your specialisation. This internship can be 59 EC or 45 EC.
The specialisation-related internship includes:
- NWI-MOL501A: practical work, master thesis, presentation (33-53 EC).
- NWI-MOL601: a literature thesis (6 EC). The thesis should be related to the specialisation, but on a different topic than the internship.
- Optional specialisation courses relevant to the internship (maximum 6 EC).
The second internship should be in another discipline and can be 30 EC or 44 EC. This internship contains:
- NWI-MOL502A: practical work, master thesis, presentation (24-44 EC).
- Optional courses relevant to the internship (maximum 6 EC).
C. NWI-MOL412 Career orientation: 1 EC
D. Scientific Master's electives: 6 EC
To be approved by the Examination Board. Courses offered at the Faculty of Science are automatically approved.
E. Free electives: 6 EC
F. Philosophy course: 3 EC.