Research Project of Science, Management and Innovation
During your graduation research project, you will work on a real-world research problem in the theme you have chosen. The project can be done at a company, in a governmental organisation or department, at the strategy department of a research lab or in a non-governmental organisation. There are also positions available at Radboud University. In your research project, you will apply what you have learned in your courses in the real world.
Your research problem follows the objectives and ambitions of the Master's specialisation Science Management and Innovation. Therefore it should focus on a problem that connects science, innovation and society. This typically follows the thematic focus you have chosen in the specialisation.
In order to find a suitable topic and host organisation for your research project, we offer a portfolio of potential research topics and host organisations. Students are expected to apply for a project from the portfolio. In case you wish to apply for a topic and host organisation, which is not part of the portfolio, you should contact the SMI research project coordinator.
Both the research project manual for students and the guide for host organisations will be made available on Brightspace.
SMI research project coordinator
Dr. R. van Zelm
Selection of recent SMI Master Thesis projects - Health
- Sint Maartenskliniek. Development of an approach for implementation of medical innovations. For this purpose, the current innovation implementation is compared with the experiences of health care professionals.
- Fresenius Medical Care Assessment of the acceptance of an e-Clinical Decision Support System for Chronic Kidney Disease-Mineral and Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD) Management amongst dialysis physicians .
- Noldus Information Technology. Constructing deep learning algorithms inferring motion states from accelerometer data for the development of a smart baby sensor suit.
- Mental Healthcare Organisation Eindhoven. The impact of biodynamic lighting on sleep quality, symptoms of depression, emotional distress and agitation for people with dementia and the caregiver strain of the informal caregiver.
- Radboudumc REshape Cente A feasibility and acceptance study for a virtual assistant designed as a self- management companion to help people with Diabetes.
- Radboudumc REshape Center. Using social media content as an information and prediction source for infectious disease outbreaks in the Netherlands.
- SE Health. Evaluation of the value and readiness of ‘home-spital’ solutions for elderly people.
- Julius Center, UMC Utrecht. Feasibility and evaluation of an mHealth application combined with novel recruitment methods for quantitative risk assessment of travel- imported arbovirus infections in the Netherlands (ZIeKA Monitor).
- GGD Gelderland-Zuid. Evaluation of the programme ‘Bommelerwaard Beweegt’, which aims to encourage citizens to adopt exercising The evaluation was conducted with the users, general practitioners, nurse specialists and sports coaches.
- Health Valley. Collaboration preferences within the drug discovery, development and manufacturing ecosystem in the regions of Nijmegen and Oss. Focus on participation of small business s to open innovation in the drug development process.
- Pharmacovigilance Centre Lareb. Developing a patient-reported outcome measure-based drug safety monitoring system for chronic inflammatory diseases.
Selection of recent SMI Master Thesis projects – Climate & Energy
- Rijkswaterstaat Oost-Nederland. Biomass: waste or resource? An exploratory study into handling riverine area residual biomass processing by public organizations, and gaining insight into barriers and facilitators influencing sustainable biomass use.
- Radboud University. Sustainability and conformance to regulation of the import of sugarcane- based polyethylene from the Brazilian Centre-West into the European Union.
- Gemeente Nijmegen. Air quality and stakeholder impact analysis of introducing an environmental zone in Nijmegen.
- ECN (TNO). Analysis, evaluation and policy recommendations regarding the policy framework of carbon capture with the purpose of geological storage (CCS) and utilization into recycled carbon fuels (CCU). Using the Technological Innovation System framework.
- Radboud University. Assessement of Plastic Waste Management on Saparua Island, Moluccas, Indonesia. Establishing collaboration between the district and village government, education and religious institutes, and businesses.
- Arcadis Nederland B.V. The influence of emissions on the ambitions and ambition formation process regarding the energy transition in IT and chemical industry.
- Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate / TNO. Differentiation of the SDE+ subsidy scheme for geothermal energy production by means of geological differentiation and risk reduction.
- NTP Groep. Using Life Cycle Assessment in tenders to enhance the sustainable procurement of road infrastructure.
- De Beijer RTB. Developing a market strategy for thermo-chemical energy storage in the Netherlands, aiming to avoid anthropogenic climate change and leading to an energy transition towards renewables.