Mathematical Physics (core track) and Gravity+ (synergy track)
This 120 EC research specialisation is built up as follows:
|A.||Track electives||30 EC|
|B.||Mathematical electives||18 EC|
|C.||Master electives||15 EC|
|D.||Master Thesis Project Mathematics||40 EC|
|E.||Master Seminar||6 EC|
|F.||Professional Preparation||2 EC|
|H.||Free electives||6 EC|
Overall, a maximum of 12 ec of third year bachelor's courses in Mathematics is allowed, to be approved by the examination board.
A. Track electives (30 EC)
For the core track Mathematical Physics choose at least 30 EC from the list of track electives below. You have to choose courses from different rows. If you are interested in more than one course per row, you can always choose them as elective courses. Note that not all courses are taught every year. Please look at this year's course offerings.
Course information and schedules for the Mastermath courses may be found on the Mastermath website.
Tabel 1: Track electives Mathematical Physics
|1.||Mastermath: Differential Geometry (8 EC), semester 1
Mastermath: Symplectic Geometry (8 EC), semester 2
|2.||NWI-WM068C Noncommutative Geometry (6 EC), semester 2
Mastermath: Poisson Geometry (8 EC)*
|3.||Mastermath: Lie Groups (8 EC), semester 1
Mastermath: Lie Algebras (8 EC), semester 2
|4.||Mastermath: Calculus of Variations (8 EC), semester 2 (in Nijmegen)
Mastermath: Partial Differential Equations (8 EC), semester 1
|5.||NWI-WM153 Nonlinear Wave Equations (6 EC), semester 1
NWI-WM159 Singularities and Black Holes (6 EC), semester 1
|6.||Mastermath: Functional Analysis (8 EC), semester 1
Mastermath: Operator Algebras (8 EC), semester 2
|7.||Mastermath: Quantum Computing (8 EC), semester 2
Mastermath: Quantum Information Theory (8 EC), semester 2
* Not taught this year
For the synergy track Gravity+ you need to choose three courses from three different rows from Table 1. In addition, you have to choose 12 EC out of the list of mandatory electives:
- NWI-NM107 General Relativity (6 EC), semester 1
- NWI-NM024C Foundations and Frontiers of Gravitational Wave Astrophysics (6 EC) (semester 1) OR NWI-NM114 Quantum Gravity (6 EC) (semester 1)
- NWI-WM159 Singularities and Black Holes (6 EC), semester 1
- NWI-WM153 Nonlinear Wave Equations (6 EC), semester 1
B. Mathematical electives (18 EC)
Mathematical electives are courses within the field of Mathematics on Master's level. The mathematical electives need to be approved by the Examination Board.
C. Master electives (15 EC)
Master's level courses in any field within or outside of Mathematics. You can also consider courses from the societal specialisations. These electives need to be approved by the Examination Board.
D. Master Thesis Project Mathematics (40 EC)
Including a literature study, a thesis (which can be an internship report) and a graduation defense.
E. NWI-WM115C Master seminar (6 EC)
The Master seminar should be taken in the first year of the master's programme. For students in the synergy track Gravity+, this course can be replaced by NWI-WM115B Master Seminar (3 EC) & NWI-NM124 Gravity+ Club (3 EC).
G. Philosophy (3 EC)
One of the courses below should be completed. Not all courses are taught every year and some courses may have restrictions on registration.
- NWI-FFIL212 Philosophy of Water Management (3 EC)
- NWI-FFIL215 Upgrading the Human? (3 EC)
- NWI-FFIL216 Imagining the Anthropocene (3 EC)
- NWI-FFIL217 Science and Arts (3 EC)
- NWI-FFIL218 Science and Values (3 EC)
- NWI-FFIL219 Philosophy of Neuroscience (3 EC)
- NWI-FFIL220 Philosophy of Evidence and Expertise (3 EC)
- NWI-FFIL302 Philosophy and Ethics in Microbiology (3EC)
- NWI-FFIL202A Evolution and the Mind (3 EC)
- NWI-FFIL203B Bio-ethics for Life Scientists (3 EC)
- NWI-FFIL209B Environmental Ethics (3 EC)
- NWI-FFIL211B Physics and Philosophy (3 EC)
- NWI-FFIL300C Philosophy of Mathematical Practice (3 EC)
- NWI-WM302 History and Philosophy of Mathematics (3 or 6 EC)
- Mastermath History and Philosophy of Mathematics (8 EC)
H. Free electives (6 EC)
Free electives are any courses, not necessarily within the field of Mathematics.