Zoek in de site...

Programme of Science and Education

The specialisation Science and Education leads to a first degree teaching permit in Chemistry, and can be followed in Dutch only.
The content of the Science and Education part is described in a separate prospectus. The Molecular Sciences specific part is outlined here and consists of the following components totaling 60 EC to be done in the first year.

An alternative since September 2023 is the two year masters programme Education in the Natural Sciences (Educatie in de betawetenschappen).

You may want to consult the Radboud Teachers Academy to check if your programme (including your BSc programme) meets the requirements to start with the teaching degree programme.

A. A minimum of 15 EC scientific Master courses, to be approved by the Examination Board. Master courses at the Faculty of Science are automatically approved, with the exception of courses offered within the societal specialisations (SMI and SIS);

B. A research project* of minimally 29 EC (NWI-MOL502A), including practical work, report, presentation, and optional specialisation courses relevant to the internship (max. 6 EC); If you take courses you can subtract these ec's from the internship (e.g. 26 ec internship + 3 ec course).
This research project can be done on any research department available to Molecular Sciences students.

C. NWI-MOL412 Career orientation (1 EC)

D. free electives (6 EC)

E. A Philosophy course (3 EC)

F. 6 EC Electives, either courses (A), a longer research project (B), or a literature thesis (NWI-MOL601, 6 EC), or a combination of these.

After the 60 EC Molecular Sciences specific programme, your second year comprises a 60 EC programme from the Dutch Educational Master. That programme is described here.

* Internships
As a rule of thumb: One week full time = 1.5 EC
30 EC = 20 weeks = one semester

If you take courses, or work as a teaching assistant during your internship, obviously the time needs to be compensated and the internship takes longer.

By adding elective space D and/or F the length of either internship can be increased. The size of your internship has to be decided before the start of the internship i.e. written down in the internship plan you agree upon with your supervisor.

If you want to prolong an internship that has already started, you need to ask permission from the internship coordinator and the exam board. Prolonging an internship this way can be done by 6 or 9 EC. This rule is meant to prevent both using the internship in the end to use up ‘spare EC’s’ and to prevent internships to be extended ad hoc to ‘do one more experiment’.