Programme of Particle and Astrophysics
Please note that this master's programme is no longer available for new students. New master's students can start this specialization in the masters programme of Physics and Astronomy, please see the relevant course guide.
Students in the master Science should graduate August 31 2023 at the latest. Make sure to consult your student advisor.
For the Master's of Science in Science the complete 120 EC programme of the Particle and Astrophysics specialisation consists of:
A. compulsory specialisation courses: 15 EC
- NWI-NM108 Gravity and the Cosmos
- NWI-NM109 Particles and the Cosmos
- NWI-NM072E Student Seminar Particle and Astrophysics
One of the 15 EC compulsory courses may be interchanged with a course from another research specialisation available for Science students.
B. Research internships: 89 EC
You need to do two internships with a multidisciplinary character. The internships should focus on different disciplines. One of the internships should be related to your specialisation. This internship can be 59 EC or 45 EC.
The specialisation-related internship includes:
- NWI-MOL501A: practical work, master thesis, presentation (33-53 EC).
- NWI-MOL601: a literature thesis (6 EC). The thesis should be related to the specialisation, but on a different topic than the internship.
- Optional specialisation courses relevant to the internship (maximum 6 EC).
The second internship should be in another discipline and can be 30 EC or 44 EC. This internship contains:
- NWI-MOL502A: practical work, master thesis, presentation (24-44 EC).
- Optional courses relevant to the internship (maximum 6 EC).
C. NWI-MOL412 Career orientation: 1 EC
D. Scientific Master's electives: 6 EC
To be approved by the Examination Board. Courses offered at the Faculty of Science are automatically approved.
E. Free electives: 6 EC
F. Philosophy course: 3 EC.