Under certain circumstances, for example if you have followed part of an equivalent degree programme elsewhere, you can request an exemption for one or more courses. If you wish to be eligible for an exemption, you must first contact your student advisor.
It is important to know that for a theoretical component, exemptions can only be granted on the basis of an equivalent component from another university degree programme in the Netherlands or abroad. Equivalent means that the content, the study load and the level must be equal to the course for which you are requesting an exemption. For this reason, exemptions are very rarely granted for theoretical components on the basis of a university of applied sciences course or degree programme.
It is also possible to request an exemption for a practical exam component. Exemptions for this are granted on the basis of an equivalent component from another university degree programme or university of applied sciences programme in the Netherlands or abroad.
In the Education and Examination Regulations (EER) of your degree programme, you can find out which components are excluded from the possibility of exemption. In addition, the EER describes the maximum number of exemptions for your degree programme. In the appendices (Distinction regulations) of the EER, you can find out the limitations posed by exemptions for obtaining a possible distinction.
If you wish to request an exemption, you must do so at least one month before the course begins. Please take the following steps:
- Download the exemption request form here (docx, 36 kB).
- Fill one form in per course.
- Provide the lecturer with sufficient evidence so that they may judge whether they can sign the form.
- Upload the form in the request form below.
- Add information (for instance, the course description) about the course you took elsewhere, based on which you are requesting the exemption.
- Add a certified grade list detailing the component you previously completed, on the basis of which you are requesting the exemption.
In the comment box, add any other relevant comments for the Examination Board.