Course International sales contract II
- Target group: Lawyers, company lawyers/legal counsels, legal professionals in financial services
- Level: Advanced
- Date and time: 30 November 2023, 1:15 PM - 4:30 PM
- Location: Atrium Meeting Centre, Amsterdam
- Number: Max 25 participants
- PE credits: 3 PE points the Netherlands Bar and 3 HQ PE points
- Price: € 479,- including digital course material and catering (VAT exempt)
- This course is part of the Altijd scherp-abonnement
- Tags: Vienna Sales Convention, CISG, purchase contracts, international sales law
Are you taking full advantage of the CISG?
About 80-90% of international purchase agreements are covered directly by the Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG), also known as the Vienna Sales Convention. Almost all industrialised countries, except for the UK and Ireland, have acceded to this Convention. And more and more countries are signing up to the CISG, such as Saudi Arabia this year. In a few years, the number of contracting states will reach 100. Yet, despite the importance of the CISG, lawyers are often not au fait with this Convention. They are not familiar with the CISG and therefore dismiss it. But this means that they are missing out on opportunities.
This course will try to put an end to this ignorance of the CISG. The lecturer will discuss the main features of the CISG. He will talk about its scope, contract formation, the rights and obligations of the parties, and the legal remedies available. You will also be given tips on how to avoid some of the common mistakes and pitfalls. One such pitfall is a tendency to interpret the CISG in the context of national law; another is underestimating the inspection and notification obligations set out in the CISG. The latest developments will also be addressed, of course, such as the impact of epidemics, embargoes and wars on international purchase contracts.
At the end of this course, you will have a good understanding of international sales law and be aware of potential pitfalls and common mistakes.
This course is part of the Commercial Law programme.
Some of the topics covered:
- Legal thinking in the context of international contracts
- Drafting international contracts (including standard contract terms in an international contract scenario)
- Scope of the CISGFormation of international (purchase) contracts
Prof. dr. mr. André Janssen, professor of Private Law Radboud University
The CPO is a certified training institute. Our courses are recognised by the Netherlands Bar.
Why choose this course?
- A clear overview of the Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG)
- Insight and understanding of the possibilities of the CISG
- Focal points for drafting international purchase contracts
Would you like to take a number of courses?
Then the Altijd scherp-abonnement is interesting for you: with this you can follow as many courses and webinars as you want for 12 months for an attractive fixed amount of €1,500. The most complete and competitive subscription for lawyers.
Tel: + 31 24 361 24 09