Report improper behaviour

What would you like to talk about? 
Check here (pdf, 70 kB)for the infographic about confidential advisers at Radboud University.


Who should you contact?
Do you have a question or would you like to report an incident of improper behaviour? Don't hesitate, we are here for you and would love to talk to you! Send a short message to our emailaddress:

Following your message you will receive a confirmation and an appointment request for a brief telephone intake the same day. Afterwards, you will be in contact with one of our confidential advisers within 2 working days at the latest.
Your question or report will always be handled confidentially.

Overview CA EN

What is meant by improper behaviour?

Improper behaviour is behaviour that you find so annoying that it bothers you during your studies. You determine what improper is. What is improper for one, may not be for another. It will only become a problem when you can't solve it together with the offender.

Some forms of improper behaviour are clear for everyone like: discrimination, (sexual) intimidation, threats, gossiping, bullying and all kinds of physical and psychological violence. Other forms are more subtle, but could greatly reduce the enjoyment of studying. You can think of:

  • Receiving intrusive emails from a fellow student;
  • A teacher expressing a more than normal interest in you;
  • You are being bullied by fellow students; you are ignored, or you are always the victim of having to deal with difficult assignments;
  • You are repeatedly addressed based on your appearance.

It may also be that you are a witness of bullying and you don't know what you can do about it. Bystanders can also suffer from, for example, bullying in a group.

> regulations on improper behaviour

What can you do yourself?

It is important to take action in case of improper behaviour. That type of behaviour can lead to stress and psychological or physical complaints.

You can expect that there is no reason for others not to respect you. It may be that the person causing the trouble is not aware of the fact that he/she is a burden to you. Therefore, it is best to point out to this person that you are bothered by his/her behaviour. Explain to them that you experience it as improper, offensive or  even threatening. You can also ask somebody you trust, such as a fellow student or teacher, to tell the person. Another possibility is to contact a confidential adviser. No matter what, do not keep it to yourself, but talk about it!

What can the confidential adviser mean for you?

The confidential adviser offers a listening ear and is independent. He/she thinks along with you and provides advise on ways to find a solution that stops improper behaviour. For example, a confidential adviser can guide you in entering into a conversation with the person displaying the improper behaviour. But he/she can also arrange for a mediator at your request.

The confidential adviser keeps your well-being in mind and the fact that you feel hindered in your studies by the behaviour of another person. You experience it as improper, but can not stop it, for whatever reason. You want to get advice on how you can best approach this. The confidential adviser, together with you, looks at a strategy that best suits you and the situation.

There are multiple confidential advisers available for students at Radboud University Nijmegen. They are independent and must adhere to the code of confidentiality. They will not do anything without your express permission.

Can I file a complaint?

You can file a complaint with the complaints committee if the behaviour is so disturbing that it hinders you in your studies and if your attempts have not helped to change the situation. The filing of a complaint must be in writing and can be filed up to two years after the behaviour has occurred. The confidential adviser can inform you about the complaint rules and procedure as well as they can advise you on the formulation and submission of the complaint. He/she guides you during the entire complaints procedure.

A complete description of the procedure can be found on the website of Radboud University Nijmegen. You can also request the complaints procedure from the student counselor, the Student Information Desk, or one of the confidential advisers.