Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour
Zoek in de site...

Mental health support resources

Here you find an overview of the different resources available at the Donders, on campus, and elsewhere that you could reach out to.

Local resources (Donders Institute)

Peer coaching system for all Donderians
This is a Donders sustainable science programme. Join a peer coaching group to learn from your peers, further develop yourself and connect to your fellow Donderians! You can also sign up and be trained as a facilitator to lead the sessions. Open for all Donderians, students and all levels of staff. Read more

Donders Graduate School
The Donders Graduate School offers various sources of support to PhD candidates. More information can be found here.

Campus-wide resources (Radboud University & Radboudumc)

Bachelor/Master student support
There are several resources available for students, for example if you experience problems with your studies or personal life. These include a self-help programme, study choice and career advisors and psychologists.

Buddy system for staff
For all employees: Are you a new incoming staff member and would you like to be connected with someone who can help you settle and get introduced to your new life in Nijmegen? Sign up for a buddy or be a buddy yourself.

Coach or social worker
PhD Support sessions: The Global Staff Services have set up sessions to support you and your PhD projects with the help of a professional coach and psychologist. The sessions allow you to have open conversations about challenging topics in your PhD process.

Social worker: Social workers are there to help you with stress-related issues, at work or in work-life balance. How to handle stress: by recognizing the symptoms, signs and causes of stress. Reduce job demands, and increase resources at work. Find solutions that work for you. To create a balance at work and at home. It is confidential, and free of charge. Find more information for Radboud University employees and Radboudumc employees.

Confidential advisor
Confidential advisors can help you if you experience undesirable behaviour in the workplace. There are different types of confidential advisors, for example for labour disputes, undesirable behaviour, integrity issues, whistleblowers, work conflict and for students, staff and PhD candidates. You can contact them for example if you have an (impending) conflict about your work tasks or employment relations, or if you are experiencing undesirable behaviour ((sexual) intimidation, discrimination, aggression, violence, threats, bullying or gossip) by an employee/student. You can also contact the confidential advisor if you suspect an integrity issue, such as fraud, theft or corruption. They are there to listen to you, discuss options and advise on potential solutions.

The confidential advisors will be happy to talk with you and, if necessary, refer you to the right person. Contact them by email: employees from the Radboud University or Radboudumc.

E-health/self-help platform

On the online platform Gezondebel, e-health modules are offered on topics including mindfulness, dealing with emotions or with loneliness.

Student psychologist

The student psychologist is here if you are experiencing disappointing study results because of personal problems, your performance is affected by personal problems, you are feeling depressed, anxious, stressed, sad or insecure in your studies, or if you need support coping with the current pandemic crisis.

Occupational doctor
If you (feel like you) are experiencing serious stress which may be affecting your ability to work, or that you are getting seriously ill (long-term disease, burn-out), you can talk to the occupational doctor who can help you make arrangements regarding work, or help with workforce reintegration. Occupational doctors are also there to help you prevent getting seriously sick. They can for example help you with making workplace adjustments or repetitive strain injury (RSI). Find more information here for Radboud University employees and here for Radboudumc employees.

Company relief team
This is for Radboudumc employees who have experienced distressing, shocking, or traumatic events at work, such as physical aggression, making a fatal error, death of a child or adolescent, or a failed reanimation. If you experience something like this, the Company Relief Team is there for you.

A5 Training: Working better with autism
Do you have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or suspect you may have one? The Radboudumc has developed trainings for employees with (suspected) autism. The trainings aim at improving communication, working together and structuring work and preventing stress-related problems.

Tips on working from home
How to stay mentally and physically strong while working from home:

Radboud campaign against work pressure
(Too) many staff members are experiencing high work pressure, stress or burnout problems. Rather than only offering resources for when problems occur, we need to start working on long-term solutions to prevent stress or mental health symptoms from happening. Here is information about plans for long-term solutions aimed at reducing work pressure in academia.

For group leaders: How to start a conversation with your staff about work pressure

Other resources on mental health and development
The University has a group of advisors about how you can develop your professional and/or personal skills or provide support in helping you find your career path.

Vitality programme: The Radboud University offers a vitality programme for staff. During the programme you gain more insight into your vitality, energy balance and learn how to reduce stress. This includes a general edition, and one with specific focus on women and menopause.

Radboudumc: Starting the new year healthily (Dutch)

Radboud University: Grow course “Fit@Work vitaliteitsprogramma/Vitality Programme” (NL/EN) or “Vitaliteit” (NL)

Radboudumc: This programme offers to monitor your mental health during corona, anonymously, and give you feedback on it.

HR-support for Radboudumc supervisors.

National resources

General Practitioner
In general in The Netherlands people first need to consult their GP in order to get a referral to any other mental health professional. Should you experience an emergency please dial 112.

Suicide prevention
In case you have suicidal thoughts, you can call 0800-0113 or chat for help. This available 24/7, anonymously and for free. The website also offers advice and practical tips for people who know someone in their environment who is having suicidal thoughts.

This document was put together by the Donders Diversity & Sustainable Science committee.

*If you have any suggestions for additions to these resources, please get in touch with us.*