In this course, you will learn about:
- Your roles and responsibilities as a teacher.
- Creating a safe (online) learning environment.
- Intrinsic motivation (theory).
- How you can deal with challenging situations with students.
- Facilitating feedback to and amongst students to support their learning.
- How you can activate students through your teaching strategies.
- Active learning and activating education.
Starting academic teachers (e.g., teaching assistants, PhD-students, lecturer-4) who have little or no experience in guiding seminars and want to start teaching in a didactically informed way.
If you already followed the course Education in a Nutshell, the course Starting to teach will be unnecessary.
Method during the course
The course consists of two meetings of three hours, each preceded by preparatory work. During these meetings there is ample room for discussions, trying out didactic strategies, and exchanging teaching experience. Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate. The course is in English, unless all participants feel comfortable speaking Dutch.
The total workload is about 8 hours, and the two meetings are typically planned within the same week, prior to a new block. Participation is free of charge.