CHAPTER II THE MANAGEMENT AND STRUCTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY
Section 1. The governance of the university
Article 3 The Executive Board
Pursuant to the provisions of Article 3 of the Statutes, the Executive Board is charged with managing and administrating the University in its entirety and is the head of the faculty, without prejudice to the Supervisory Board’s statutory authorities.
Article 4 Composition of the Executive Board/appointment and termination of Executive Board members
- The Executive Board is comprised of three members, including the Rector of the University. The working method, composition, appointment (term), suspension without pay and dismissal of the Executive Board is regulated in Title II.1 of the Statutes.
- Before the Supervisory Board appoints or dismisses a member of the Executive Board, it shall confidentially consult the Executive Board, the Board of Directors of Radboud university medical center, the deans of the faculties and the University Joint Assembly. Hearings shall be conducted at such a time that they can have a significant effect on decision-making.
- The Executive Board meetings shall be behind closed doors.
Article 5 Accountability
The Executive Board is accountable to the Supervisory Board and provides it with the information it requests to that end.
Article 6 Management and Administration Regulations
To further regulate the administration, management and organisation of the university, the Executive Board shall adopt Management and Administration Regulations. These regulations include further rules regarding the appointment of the dean and vice dean, the manner of nomination and appointment of the Rector Magnificus, and further regulations regarding the task, composition and manner of appointment of the Doctorate Board.
Article 7 Guidelines for deans
The Executive Board may adopt guidelines with a view to the organisation and coordination of the exercise of the powers referred to in Article 14, paragraph 3 and Article 15, paragraph 1 of these regulations.
Article 8 Internal regulations and disciplinary measures
- The Executive Board may issue regulations and take measures with respect to the proper conduct of affairs in the buildings and on the premises of the institution. Such measures may include denying the person who has violated the said regulations access to all or part of these buildings or grounds for a period not exceeding one year, or terminating their enrolment for the same period.
- If the person violating the regulations referred to in the first paragraph causes serious nuisance inside the buildings and on the grounds of the institution and has not ceased this nuisance even after a reminder by or on behalf of the Executive Board, the Executive Board may permanently deny them access to the institution or terminate their enrolment.
Article 9 Council of Deans
- The Council of Deans is the Doctorate Board, as referred to in Article 9.10 of the Act and Article 6 of these Regulations.
- The composition and duties of the Council of Deans are laid down in the Management and Administration Regulations.
Section 2 The faculties
Article 10 Education and academic practice
The provision of education and the practice of academia shall take place within the faculty. At the head of the faculty is the Faculty dean.
Article 11 Faculties
The university includes the following faculties:
a. the Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies, of which the Faculty of Theology is a part,
b. the Faculty of Arts,
c. the Faculty of Law,
d. the Faculty of Medical Sciences,
e. the Faculty of Science,
f. the Faculty of Social Sciences,
g. the Nijmegen School of Management.
Article 12 Degree programmes
- The Management and Administration Regulations set out the degree programmes established in the faculties.
Article 13 Special provisions for Theology
- The Faculty of Theology is subject to special regulations as referred to in Article 3, paragraph 2, under c, of the Statutes, which shall be adopted and, if necessary, amended by the Grand Chancellor at the proposal of the dean of this Faculty, to whom the proposals shall be forwarded through the intermediary of the Executive Board.
- Insofar as no special provisions referred to in the preceding paragraph apply, the provisions laid down in or pursuant to these regulations shall apply without prejudice with regard to said faculty.
Article 14 Dean, duties and powers; Faculty Regulations
- The dean is charged with the general management of the faculty. The dean shall also be charged with the administration and organisation of the Faculty in terms of its education and the practice of science.
- The dean shall contribute to the administration of the university by, among other things, consulting with the Executive Board regarding the preparation of the institutional plan and the budget.
- Without prejudice to Article 7, the dean shall adopt Faculty Regulations to further regulate the administration and organisation of the faculty. These regulations require the approval of the Executive Board and the prior consent of the Faculty Joint Assembly referred to in Article 40. The approval of the Board may only be withheld on the grounds of violation of the law or the general interest.
- If, within a period of time determined by the Executive Board, the Faculty Regulations have not been adopted or not fully adopted, the Executive Board shall adopt the regulations or the missing portion thereof.
- Notwithstanding the provisions of the third paragraph, the administration and organisation of the Faculty of Medical Sciences shall be included in the Administrative Regulations of Radboud university medical center. These regulations shall be adopted by the Board of Directors of Radboud university medical center, subject to the prior approval of the Executive Board with regard to university matters.
Article 15 Other duties and powers of the dean
The dean is further charged with
a. establishing the Education and Examination Regulations as well as their regular appraisal,
b. establishing the general guidelines for the pursuit of scientific practice,
c. establishing the faculty’s annual research programme,
d. supervising the implementation of the Education and Examination Regulations and the annual research programme, as well as regularly reporting on this to the Executive Board,
e. setting up the Examining Boards and the committee referred to in Article 7.29, paragraph 1 of the Act, as well as appointing the members of these committees,
f. implementing Articles 7.8b and 7.9 of the Act, except for the designation of the degree programmes referred to in paragraph 3 of Article 7.8b and paragraph 1 of Article 7.9 of the Act.
g. establishing further rules regarding the manner in which exemption, as referred to in Article 7.25, paragraph 4, 7.28, paragraphs 2 to 4 and 7.29, paragraph 1 of the Act, can be obtained,
h. implementing Article 7.30c of the Act,
i. concluding a joint regulation for the benefit of one or more study programmes with one or more deans from other faculties, all subject to the provisions of Article 36 of these Regulations,
j. adopting procedures and criteria for the recognition of acquired competences,
k. the nomination of a doctorate honoris causa to the Doctorate Board.
Article 16 Vice deans
- The dean shall be assisted by at least one and not more than three vice deans.
- The Faculty Regulations shall govern the replacement of the dean by a vice dean.
- The vice dean is accountable to the dean.
Article 17 Appointment of a dean/vice dean
- The Executive Board appoints, suspends and dismisses deans and vice deans.
- The key tenets of the appointment procedure of deans and vice deans are regulated in the Management and Administration Regulations.
Article 18 Administrative Director
The dean shall appoint an Administrative Director with the prior approval of the Executive Board.
Article 19 Faculty Board
- The dean, together with the vice deans and the Administrative Director, shall constitute the Faculty Board.
- Without prejudice to the provisions of Article 21, the Faculty Regulations govern the duties and powers of the Faculty Board.
Article 20 Student assessor
- The dean shall appoint a student assessor on the recommendation of the faculty student council, each time for a period of one year.
- The student assessor attends the meetings of the relevant Faculty Board and may express an advisory opinion on them.
Article 21 Accountability and duty to report and inform
- The dean is accountable to the Executive Board. They shall provide the Board with the information requested pertaining to the Faculty.
- The dean, upon request and of their own accord, shall advise the Executive Board on matters concerning the faculty.
Section 3. The Faculty of Medical Sciences
Article 22 Management and administration of the Faculty of Medical Sciences
- The general management of the Faculty of Medical Sciences is assigned by the Executive Board to Radboud university medical center’s Board of Directors with the exception of (the direction of) education, research and the organisation of the examinations.
- In accordance with university regulations, the dean manages the faculty and is responsible for education, research and the organisation of the examinations, without prejudice to the provisions of Article 26.1 of these regulations.
- The Board of Directors shall perform the tasks arising from the assignment referred to in the first paragraph of this article with due observance of the provisions of Article 2 of the Statutes of the Stichting Katholieke Universiteit.
Article 23 The collaboration between Radboud University and Radboud university medical center concerning the Faculty of Medical Sciences
- The Executive Board and the Board of Directors shall establish a Joint Regulation pertaining to the Faculty of Medical Sciences.
- The Joint Regulation provides for the establishment of a joint policy body, the Board of Executive Cooperation (CBS).
Article 24 Obligations of the Radboudumc Executive Board
In particular, the Executive Board shall:
- draw up and implement a multi-year policy plan for the faculty; components concerning education, research, the organisation of examinations and themes directly related to them are drawn up at the initiative and under the responsibility of the dean; the policy plan is submitted by the Board of Directors to the Executive Board for adoption;
- draw up a separate (draft) budget and the faculty’s (draft) annual financial report in a timely manner each year;
- implement personnel policy and management
Article 25 Duties of the Executive Board
For the purpose of carrying out the assignment referred to in Article 22, the Executive Board makes financial resources available to the Board of Directors each year, in addition to the resources passed on to the Radboud university medical center for the purpose of the workplace function, in accordance with the budget approved by the Executive Board as referred to in Article 24 of these regulations.
Article 26 Decision-making on education, research and the organisation of examinations
Administrative orders concerning education, research and the organisation of examinations shall remain reserved for the dean and shall be taken by the dean in concert with the other members of the Board of Directors.
Article 27 Intellectual property, valorisation and publications
- Unlike copyrights, intellectual property rights arising from scientific research are property of the university.
- The manner in which Radboud University Nijmegen and Radboud university medical center deal with the results of scientific research and the distribution of revenue from the exploitation of patents is set down in the ‘General rules for the protection and exploitation of knowledge of Radboud University Nijmegen and Radboud university medical center’ and the ‘Subregulation on the distribution of patent revenue’ respectively.
- The part of the valorisation revenue referred to in the ‘General rules for the protection and exploitation of knowledge of Radboud University Nijmegen and Radboud university medical center’, as well as in point 4.3 of the ‘Subregulation on the distribution of patent revenue’, benefits the faculty rather than the general university funds. When the net result of the valorisation revenue is exceptionally high, it will be mutually agreed whether part of this result will be spent in another way within the university. Valorisation revenue that benefits a research group or the faculty will be accounted for in the faculty’s annual financial statements.
- Publications resulting from scientific research are offered with the reference ‘Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre’, the name of the research institute concerned and, if desired, one optional addition.
Article 28 Spin offs
The Executive Board and the Board of Directors shall make further agreements concerning the policy and organisation pertaining to spin offs and under what legal entity (or entities) the spin offs shall be accommodated.
Article 29 Students
- The university handles the recruitment of students.
- Students register with the university for a study programme at the Faculty of Medical Sciences.
Article 30 Staff working for the faculty
- The Radboud University Medical Center Foundation is the official employer of all staff working at Radboud university medical center, including staff working for the faculty.
- Analogous with Article 12.16 paragraph 5 of the Act, the Board of Directors, in agreement with the Executive Board, shall draw up an action statement for the faculty’s academic staff, which shall at least determine the manner in which the mutual powers shall be exercised with regard to these persons.
- The Executive Board shall appoint and dismiss tenured professors with due observance of the provisions of paragraph 1.
Article 31 Accountability
- Without prejudice to the relevant provisions elsewhere in these Regulations, the Executive Board or the dean, as the case may be, are accountable to the Executive Board with respect to the provisions of Article 22.1 or Article 22.2 of these Regulations.
- The Board of Directors shall give an account of the funds spent or received on behalf of the university in the execution of its mission to the Executive Board and shall render an account of the manner in which it has completed this mission.
- The Executive Board and the dean, together with the other members of the Board of Directors, shall consult at least twice a year regarding the budget, financial statements and achievement of agreements from the preceding year.
- The dean shall provide the Executive Board with all data and information necessary for the execution of its tasks in the fields of academic higher education, research and the organisation of examinations.
Section 4 The organisation of the education and research
Article 32 Educational institutes
- The study programmes within a faculty shall be housed in one or more educational institutes.
- The management of an educational institutes rests with a director to be appointed by the dean. As a general rule, the director shall be a professor. The director cannot simultaneously be dean and director of a research institute, or member of a programme committee.
- The director is in charge of the organisation and coordination of education within the institute and advises the dean with respect to educational policy.
- The duties and powers of the directors and the setup of the educational institutes are further regulated in the Faculty Regulations.
Article 33 Programme Committee
- Each study programme has a programme committee. Notwithstanding the above, a single programme committee can also be established for a number of study programmes together.
- Each programme committee is responsible for the following tasks:
a. issuing advice on the Education and Examination Regulations, as set out in Article 15,
b. assessing annually the method for implementing the Education and Examination Regulations and
c. issuing upon request or at its own initiative, advice to the dean and the director of the relevant educational institutes on all matters concerning teaching in the relevant study programme(s).
- Any deviation from the advice of a programme committee will be justified with reasons. The programme committee may request the relevant body to reconsider the administrative order in question.
- The Faculty Regulations set out the composition of the programme committee as well as how the members are appointed, with the proviso that half of the total number of committee members are enrolled as students in the relevant programme(s).
Article 34 Examining Boards
- The dean sets up an Examining Board for every programme and guarantees the independent and expert functioning of this Examining Board. Notwithstanding the above, a single Examining Board can also be established for a number of study programmes together.
- The Examining Board is responsible for the organisation and coordination of the examinations within the study programme or group of study programmes concerned.
- The dean appoints the members of the Examining Board after consulting the other members of the board.
Article 35 Research institutes
- As a rule, research within a faculty is carried out in one or more research institutes.
- The management of an research institute rests with a director to be appointed by the dean. As a general rule, the director shall be a professor. The director cannot be simultaneously a dean or director of an educational institute.
- The director is in charge of the organisation and coordination of research within the institute and advises the dean with respect to research policy.
- The duties and powers of the directors and the organisation of the research institutes, as well as the way in which research not housed in a research institute is coordinated, are further regulated in the Faculty Regulations.
Article 36 Collaboration between faculties
- In order to promote cooperation between faculties, a dean, together with one or more other deans, may establish units, by joint regulation, to which certain tasks and powers in the field of education or the practice of science are assigned. The joint regulation shall require the approval of the Executive Board.
- For the purpose of cooperation between one or more faculties of the university on the one hand and one or more faculties of other universities on the other hand, units may be established by joint regulation, entered into by the Executive Board, to which certain tasks and powers in the field of education or scientific practice are assigned.
Article 37 Educational and research institutes outside the faculty structure
The Executive Board may establish educational and research institutes within the university that operate outside the faculty structure in whole or in part. The administration, management and organisation of these institutes shall be regulated in the Management and Administration Regulations.
Article 38 Professors
- The professor is primarily responsible for the development of the field of science assigned to him and for the content of the education to be offered in that field, without prejudice to the powers of the director of a educational institute as referred to in Article 32.
- The decision appointing the professor shall specify the field of academia in which the professor carries out their teaching and research tasks.
- Honourably dismissed professors shall retain the right to act as PhD supervisors for a period of five years after their dismissal.
- Professors are entitled to use the title of Professor. Former professors whose appointment has ended as a result of reaching the age limit for the position, resignation for health reasons or voluntary early retirement remain entitled to use the title of Professor.