A sufficient level of English proficiency is required for meeting the admission requirements for English-taught Bachelor’s programmes. Language proficiency can be demonstrated through certain diplomas, or by passing a recognised language test.
Diplomas that meet the English language requirements
When it comes to all English-taught Bachelor’s programmes, English language proficiency may be demonstrated through one of the following diplomas.
- A Dutch Pre-university Secondary Education diploma (VWO);
- An International Baccalaureate Diploma (Diploma Programme)
- A European Baccalaureate Diploma, which includes English Language 1 or English Language 2
- The General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (GCE A-Levels)
- A diploma equivalent to, or higher than the Dutch VWO diploma, with English as the only language of instruction, obtained at an institution in an EU/EEA member state, Australia, Canada (excluding Québec), Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America.
- One of the following diplomas, which includes a minimal passing grade for English in the final examinations:
- The Austrian Reifezeugnis/Reifeprüfungszeugnis
- The Belgian Diploma van Secundair Onderwijs
- The Danish Studentereksamenbevis,
- The Finnish Ylioppilastutkintotodistus/Studentexamenbevis
- The German Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife
- The Luxembourgish Diplôme de Fin d’Études Secondaires
- The Norwegian Vitnemål fra den Videregående Skolen
Recognised English language tests
If you do not have one of the above-mentioned diplomas, you are permitted to apply for the programme if you do not have a recognised English language certificate. However, if you are admitted and English is listed as a requirement in the admission email, we will require a certificate from one of the following recognised English language examinations before the enrolment deadline.
- IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- Cambridge English Qualifications: C1 Advanced (CAE) or C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Please note that IELTS and TOEFL results are valid for two years after the test date, and that the results must be valid on the date of enrolment. C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency results are valid for five years, with the exception of study programmes at the Nijmegen School of Management. All test results for Nijmegen School of Management programmes are valid for two years.