Something for you?
- Unique focus on the entire Mediterranean across the ancient and medieval periods.
- You will acquire important skills such as being able to select, analyse and interpret pertinent historical information.
- You could write your Master's thesis in French, Italian or German if that is your native tongue.
- Our staff has a wide network.
Do you want to know if you can be admitted? Read more about the admission requirements of this programme.Admission requirements
If you have determined that you can be admitted with your previous education, you can apply via Studielink.Apply now
What will you learn
Ancient and Medieval Mediterranean Worlds offers a unique programme covering ancient and medieval history, by focusing on Byzantium, the Islamic world and Western Europe in contact and conflict. Taught by a group of specialists who are internationally renowned in their respective fields of expertise, the programme offers a broad treatment of the major questions in facing Mediterranean history and its relevance for today. Topics include:
- Cultural identity, cultural memory and imagined communities
- Regionalism, colonialism and conquest
- Continuity and change over the ancient and medieval periods
- Tradition and ideology
- Economic history and trade, including numismatics
- Inter-religious contact, influence and acculturation
At the same time, the programme gives you the freedom of in-depth study through specialised courses and projects, depending on your own interests and future perspectives.Curriculum and courses
Future career opportunities
Our graduates have found employment in public relations, industrial and public service management, librarianship, archive and museum work, teaching and lecturing and journalism.After your studies
Your Master's thesis consists of an individual research project, which allows you to investigate a topic of your choice in any historical aspect connected to the ancient and medieval Mediterranean under the close supervision of our expert staff.
- Main language
- English (100%)
- Study duration
- 1 years (60 EC)
- Starting months
- Contact hours
- Programme format
- Full time
- Master of Arts
Faculty of Arts
- CROHO code
Questions about this programme?
Do you have a question about this programme? We're happy to help. Please contact us, ask a student or check out our information activities.Contact
Tuitions & grants
If you are going to follow this master's programme, you will pay an annual tuition fee. There are different tuition rates. The amount depends on your personal situation.Tuition