Why study this programme?
Study this programme to create an understanding for the interplay between (inter)national conflicts and the identities and borders in the minds of people. We will zoom in on the wider global geopolitics related to conflicts, the sources and backgrounds of conflicts, the development on the ground, bordering and other processes related to it, and the attempts to resolve the conflicts.
Master's specialisation in Conflict, Territories and Identities
- The foundation of this specialisation is socio-geographical, addressing issues such as the influence of territorial belonging, geopolitical framing and social construction of others, threats and conflicts, including violent symbolism. Both the political and social construction of conflicts, territories and identities, as well as the theory and practice of conflict transformations will be addressed.
- The specialisation focuses on conflict in the broad sense of the word: ranging from the violent conflicts taking place in countries like Ukraine, DR Congo, Colombia, Syria and Iraq to extreme regional tension between communities like the resistance to the arrival of refugees in EU countries, or drug-related violence in the slums of Rio de Janeiro. We look beyond the violent conflict itself by also paying attention to practices of post-conflict reconstruction and the long-lasting consequences of conflicts for a region and the people involved.
- Over the past years, Radboud University has made a name for itself in the field of Human Geography for not shying away from critical debates and by researching topics in the field that are of societal importance but not always favoured with large (EU) funding. We’re known for not staying on the beaten path.
- Our approach is highly multidisciplinary, it includes fields as sociology, anthropology, international relations, border studies, development studies, migration studies, political science and public administration.
- This specialisation is offered in collaboration with the Centre for International Conflict - Analysis & Management (CICAM).
Why choose Radboud University
- Our classes are small and interactive, and our professors are easily approachable. There is an open environment where you can easily come in contact with other students.
- Our compact campus in Nijmegen is the greenest in the Netherlands where everything is within walking distance. It is a welcoming space, with ample facilities suited to studying and discussing societal issues with fellow students outside lectures.
- We encourage our students to take a multidisciplinary approach to their studies. You are free to customise your own programme, so you can learn about and research topics that you are passionate about.
- You earn a valuable diploma in an accredited university system. We stimulate and support the development of your critical skills in order to improve your chances in the job market within your field.
- With staff hailing from around the world and with education and research related cooperation set up with academic partners around the world, an international setting is created.
Do you want to know more about what Radboud University has to offer?