Why study this programme?
This Master's specialisation offers you the opportunity to investigate the effects of globalisation and migration processes on economies, societies and resources in different parts of the world.
Master's specialisation in Globalisation, Migration and Development
- The main focus of this specialisation lies on the Global South and its interaction with the Global North. We particularly emphasise the relationship with urban contexts of globalisation, but also focus on linkages to rural developments, e.g. by studying sustainability of livelihood strategies and development policies in different regions.
- We take a very theoretical approach to this field while never losing sight of the social relevance of what we are studying. By the end of the Master’s, you will be able to identify, compare and relate different perspectives in numerous issues regarding social and spatial inequalities. In other words, you’ll have a bird’s-eye view of the situation and can explain it to different players involved.
- You will not only develop an academically critical attitude, but also learn to question the limits and values of academic objectivity, particularly when there’s a strong engagement to societal processes making academics part of these processes, and not only distant observers and analysts. This will increase your academic commitment to major issues such as inequality.
- Although the foundation of this specialisation is geographical, our approach to this theme is highly multidisciplinary and relates to fields such as sociology, development studies and political science.
- Over the past years, Radboud University has made a name for itself in the field of Human Geography for not shying away from critical debates and by researching topics in the field that are of social importance but not always favoured with large (EU) funding. We’re known for not staying on the beaten path.
Why choose Radboud University
- Our classes are small and interactive, and our professors are easily approachable. There is an open environment where you can easily come in contact with other students.
- Our compact campus in Nijmegen is the greenest and most beautiful in the Netherlands where everything is within walking distance.
- We encourage our students to take a multidisciplinary approach to their studies, and in many cases, you are free to customise your own programme, so you can learn about and research topics that you are passionate about.
- You earn a valuable diploma in an outstanding university system. Furthermore, we stimulate and support the development of your critical skills in order to improve your chances in the job market within your field.
Do you want to know more about what Radboud University has to offer?