Are you a current student? For the programme of this academic year, check the course guide.
Do you want to take on an extra challenge after your Master's degree in Political Science at Radboud University? Then a Dual degree might be something for you! In a Dual degree programme, you will follow two Master's programmes. One at Radboud University and one abroad. We offer three Dual degrees for International Political Economy.
Do you want to take on an extra challenge after your Master's degree in Political Science at Radboud University? Then the dual degree programme with the School of International Service (SIS) at American University in Washington, might be something for you. SIS is a top 10 school of international affairs, strategically based in Washington, DC. Since the founding of the school in 1957, they have answered President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s call to prepare students of international affairs to “wage peace.” Over the intervening years, SIS has grown in stature and influence and is now a destination for students seeking to think critically, build understanding, and wage peace in our world.
Something for you?
After finishing your Political Science degree at Radboud University, you can take the opportunity to gain additional academic training in an applied international affairs concentration at the School of International Services of American University. Specific benefits of doing a dual degree programme include:
- Dual perspective from different but complementary approaches to the study of politics and international studies
- Huge range of topics to choose from
- Strengthened academic versatility
- Extensive practical experiences during and after your degree
- Enhancing your outlook and adaptability as a global citizen
The programme consists of 30 US credit hours which can be followed both on campus as well as online. However, after graduating from the Political Science Master's programme at Radboud University, the programme only consists of 18 US credit hours. This will lead to a decrease in the costs of the programme.
For the Political Science Master's programme at Radboud University, you pay the tuition fee of Radboud University, more information can be found here. During the programme at the American University in Washington, you will pay a reduced fee for the American University. For more information please get in touch.
Are you interested in the dual degree programme? If you want to know more about the admission, application and the tuition fee or in case you have any further questions, you can contact master [at] fm.ru.nl.
In a rapidly changing world, it is crucial to understand power relations, conflicts and political developments. Students of political science will be well-positioned to analyse and solve problems of the 21st century. This dual degree programme does not only equip students with valuable research skills and theoretical underpinnings, but already educates them in an international environment. The 2-year programme allows you to study in two universities, gaining a unique perspective on global and domestic politics across a wide range of issues. In the first year of the programme you follow courses at one of the two universities and you continue your education at the other in the second year. Upon successful graduation you receive the Master of Arts in Politikwissenschaft from the University of Bamberg with specialisation in International and European Politics, Comparative Politics, Political Theory or without a specialisation as a general degree and the Master of Science in Political Science with specialisation in Comparative Politics; European Union Politics and Governance; International Relations; Political Theory; Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Politics or Conflict, Power and Politics. The programme allows the combination of two different specializations at the two universities under some circumstances.
Internationalisation at the core of Political Science
The Master programme in Bamberg has a strong research orientation in order to prepare you for further academic employment or Ph.D. programmes. It is taught as a social science with a strong empirical focus. Our teaching staff has a reputation for international excellence, providing you exclusive insights into ongoing research. The extraordinary support from our professors enables you to conduct your own research with the right focus and approach, putting you in a position to know which methodological tools are appropriate to find answers to your specific research interests. Theoretical knowledge is complemented with skills to apply modern ICT facilities, statistical methods and software, placing the right strategies for the analysis of political phenomena to your disposal.
- The Master's programme at Radboud University combines a strong foundation in political science theories with research methods training. Students learn to think critically about real-world political and social challenges. Students enrolled in the dual degree programme can choose from one of six specialisations while at Radboud: Comparative Politics, European Union Politics and Governance, International Relations, Political Theory, Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Politics, and Conflict, Power and Politics.
- The dual degree programmes will allow you to discover some of the distinct advantages of studying in a small exclusive program. We offer exceptional support throughout your studies and provide advisory services from counsellors with extensive experience in all of our study programmes.
The dual degree programme comprises 4 semesters. Students spend either the first two semesters at the University of Bamberg and the last two semesters at Radboud University or the first two semesters at the Radboud University and the last two semesters University of Bamberg.
- More information about the Radboud University study programme and the courses can be found on the Study Programme page.
- More information about the University of Bamberg study programme and the courses can be found the Study Programme page of the University of Bamberg. Aside from the regular curriculum the University of Bamberg offers free German courses at different levels. Current offers are published at the homepage of the language centre in Bamberg.
Admission and Application
To apply for admission to the Dual Degree Programme with a start at Nijmegen School of Management, you first have to apply to the programme at the Nijmegen School of Management. More details can be found on the Admission & Application page.
To apply for admission to the Dual Degree Programme with a start at the University of Bamberg, you first have to apply to the programme at the University of Bamberg. To be considered for this programme, you need to submit the following documents:
- Statement of motivation in German (or English);
- Curriculum vitae;
- Proficiency in both German (A1) and English (B2/C1);
- Certificate of previous academic achievement/University Diploma.
For the application in Bamberg, students should have a German level A1. In case you do not have this level you will follow an additional, off curriculum German course at the University of Bamberg and prove the level A1 during your first year. For more detailed information about the application procedure and admission requirements, please visit the website of the University of Bamberg.
You start your application to Radboud University once you are enrolled at the University of Bamberg. You can find more detailed information about the application procedure on the Admission & Application page.
Deadlines and tuition fee
The application period of the University of Bamberg for Fall enrolment begins alongside the opening of the online application to the Master’s degree programme in May in and ends on the beginning of July.
During the first year, you pay the tuition fee for the University of Bamberg. More information can be found on the Tuition page of the University of Bamberg.
In the second year of your study programme, you follow the courses and pay the tuition fee of Radboud University. More information about the tuition fee of Radboud University can be found on the Tuition page.
For more detailed information about the study programme, your eligibility and the application procedure, please get in touch with Nijmegen School of Management by emailing master [at] fm.ru.nl.
Something for you?
The Dual degree programme Global Political Economy makes you understand world politics better on the basis of how economies are organised and governed. This programme is taught by scholars who are internationally known for their stellar research.
What will you learn?
The Dual Degree Political Economy...
- Introduces you to heterodox nature of the field, going beyond mainstream theories and research
- Conveys in-depth insights and knowledge into themes like recurring capitalist crises, the influence and power of Big Tech and platform economies, how gig work is affecting people's lives, how and why the pandemic has disrupted global value chains, monetary politics and inflation, how technological innovations like blockchain are changing our economies, why inequality and poverty persist, and many more pressing contemporary issues.
- Equipes you theoretically and methodologically to conduct research on any IPE theme in an independent fashion
- Is interactively taught, challenging you to ask questions and conquer new themes
- Trains you in variegated research and diverse writing formats
- Allows you to deepen out a theme of your choice in the final thesis
- Opens up new career perspectives in the private, governmental or non-governmental sector
This dual degree programme consists of two years. During the first year, you follow the curriculum of the Master Global Economy at the University of Glasglow. The academic year at the University of Glasgow has two semesters and a summer term. The second semester finishes in May and afterwards there is a summer term. More information about the curriculum can be found here.
During the second year, you will follow the curriculum of the Master's specialisation International Political Economy at Radboud University, completing your Master’s degree. You can find more information about the curriculum here.
Successful students will be awarded the two dual degree parchments, one from each partner, at the end of the year 2, once the jointly supervised dissertation/thesis has been completed in year 2.
Admission and application
To apply for admission to the Dual Degree Programme, you first have to apply to the programme at the University of Glasgow. This can be done by following the steps which are explained here. During your first year, you can apply for the International Political Economy specialisation, more information about this application procedure can be found here.
Students pay tuition fees to each partner. Students from outside the UK, who apply for the two year collaborative programme, will be eligible for a partial tuition fee scholarship on the international tuition fee when they are at the University of Glasgow. If later they decide not to go to Radboud in the second year then the student will be required to pay the remaining international tuition fees to be able to complete the Glasgow degree. At Radboud, in year 2, University of Glasgow undergraduate alumni from outside the EU/EEA, on the two year collaborative programme, will be eligible for a partial tuition fee scholarship on Radboud international tuition fees.
Year 1 Glasgow:
UK students = home fees, Non-UK = international fees minus 40%, which constitutes the partial tuition fee scholarship. Here you will find more information.
Year 2 Radboud:
Legal tuition fees or institutional tuition fees. Here you will find more information which fee is applicable to your situation.
Glasgow undergraduate alumni = institutional fees minus 40%, which constitutes the partial tuition fee scholarship.
Here you can find information about accommodation in Glasgow and here you find all information about applying for a student visa outside the UK.
If you have any questions and have Dutch previous education, please be in contact with our admissions officer via admissions [at] nsm.ru.nl.
Should you have any questions and have international previous education, please be in contact with our international admissions officer via master [at] fm.ru.nl.