Something for you?
- An ethical specialisation within philosophy is unique in the Netherlands and internationally it occupies a special position amidst the standard approaches of philosophical ethics.
- Our programme emphasises the acquiring of research skills for an academic career (PhD) or for professions with large social and political responsibilities.
- This Research master’s specialisation is part of a broader Research Master’s programme.
- All research master students are assisted by a personal supervisor.
- 60 EC's of the courses are tailored to academic research.
- The programme offers a lively, international environment.
- Our students rate this Master’s programme 7,6 out of 10 according to the National Student Survey 2022.
Do you want to know if you can be admitted? Read more about the admission requirements of this programme.Admission & Application
If you have determined that you can be admitted with your previous education, you can apply via Studielink.Apply now
What will you learn
During your studies you will unravel the ethical presuppositions that underlie contemporary socio-cultural debates. The hermeneutical perspective – which is characteristic of philosophical ethics at Radboud University – combines the precise interpretation of influential texts with a focus on culture philosophical approaches, phenomenological analysis and ethical applications. A unique addition in the ethical discussion is the attention for ethical issues, especially in literary sources. Key authors for this specialisation are Aristotle, Thomas Aquinas, Kant, Hegel, Schleiermacher, Heidegger, Gadamer, Levinas, Ricoeur, Habermas, Taylor and Toulmin.Study Programme
Future career opportunities
This programme has been designed for people with the ambition to conduct philosophical research at a university. Graduates tend to fall into one of three groups:
- A majority of the students continue their research within academia by applying for a doctoral programme in the Netherlands or abroad. We take particular pride in the fact that more than 55 percent of our graduates manage to obtain a PhD position within two years of graduating.
- A second group goes on to teach philosophy at secondary schools.
- And a third group enter research-related professions outside of education.
Our graduates are also represented in journalism, science policy, and politics.
The reputation of Radboud University – and of the Philosophy Faculty in particular – will definitely serve you well whichever career path you choose.Career Prospects
All of the research related to this specialisation is embedded in the Centre for Contemporary Philosophy (CCEP). This centre is the Netherlands’ main centre for teaching of and research in 20th and 21st century European philosophy. The centre continues Radboud University’s strong tradition in continental philosophy.
Thesis subjects in Philosophical Ethics
The CCEP is active in organising public lectures, seminars and colloquia, which students are encouraged to attend. Although many research Master’s students choose a topic related to the research activities of the Centre, this is not mandatory. Recent Master’s theses (publishable articles) were about the following themes:
- Technology and the debate about natural boundaries
- Philosophy of death
- Fundamental conflicts in the healthcare sector
- The ethics of the new media
- Main language
- Study duration
- 2 years (120 EC)
- Starting months
- Contact hours
- Number of students
- Programme format
- Full time
- Master of Arts
Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies
- CROHO code
Questions about this programme?
Do you have a question about this programme? We're happy to help. Please contact us, ask a student or check out our information activities.Contact
Tuitions & grants
If you are going to follow this master's programme, you will pay an annual tuition fee. There are different tuition rates. The amount depends on your personal situation.Tuition & Grants