Something for you?
- You’ll study the study the essence of language, that is, the ways in which we use language to communicate and cooperate.
- The Radboud University campus offers an exceptionally rich environment for studying language in all its aspects, with the Centre for Language Studies, the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, and the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistcs.
- The programme offers a lively, international environment.
- Our students rate this Master’s programme 8,6 out of 10 according to the National Student Survey 2019.
Do you want to know if you can be admitted? Read more about the admission requirements of this programme.Admission requirements
If you have determined that you can be admitted with your previous education, you can apply via Studielink.Apply now
What will you learn
Language is without doubt one of our most complex achievements, but at the end of the day, it’s all about what we do with it, how we use language to understand, comfort, criticise, and manipulate each other. Language is an immensely complicated tool for doing all these things, and more. We talk all the time. Language is our main form of social interaction. In the Master’s specialisation in Philosophy of Language and Logic you’ll explore the richness of language from a social and evolutionary perspective.Curriculum and courses
Future career opportunities
This programme has been designed for people with the ambition to conduct philosophical research at a university. Graduates tend to fall into one of three groups:
- A majority of the students continue their research within academia by applying for a doctoral programme in the Netherlands or abroad. We take particular pride in the fact that more than 60 percent of our graduates manage to obtain a PhD position within two years of graduating.
- A second group goes on to teach philosophy at secondary schools.
- And a third group enters research-related professions outside of education.
Our graduates are also represented in journalism, science policy, and politics.
The reputation of Radboud University – and of the Philosophy Faculty in particular – will definitely serve you well whichever career path you choose.After your studies
All of the research related to this specialisation is related to the section Philosophy of Mind and Language, which focusses on the context-dependence of the interpretation of linguistic and non-linguistic behaviour.
Thesis subjects in Philosophy of Language and Logic
Although many research master’s students choose a topic related to the research activities of the section Philosophy of Mind and Language, this is not mandatory.
Recent master’s theses were about the following themes:
- Why don’t people lie more often?
- The evolutionary origins of cooperation
- Language and awareness
- Language and the law
- The evolution of shared meaning
- Communication in chimpanzees
- Everyday confabulation
- Main language
- Study duration
- 2 years (120 EC)
- Starting months
- February, September
- Contact hours
- Number of students
- Programme format
- Full time
- Master of Arts
Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies
- CROHO code
Questions about this programme?
Do you have a question about this programme? We're happy to help. Please contact us, ask a student or check out our information activities.Contact
Tuitions & grants
If you are going to follow this master's programme, you will pay an annual tuition fee. There are different tuition rates. The amount depends on your personal situation.Tuition