Something for you?
- This is the only research master in philosophy in the Netherlands that offers a specialisation in philosophy of religion.
- Our faculty is home to experts in the fields of philosophy, theology and religious studies.
- The programme offers a lively, international environment.
- All research master students are assisted by a personal supervisor.
- This Research master’s specialisation is part of a broader Research Master’s programme.
- 60 EC's of the courses are tailored to academic research.
- Our students rate this Master’s programme 7,6 out of 10 according to the National Student Survey 2022.
Do you want to know if you can be admitted? Read more about the admission requirements of this programme.Admission & Application
If you have determined that you can be admitted with your previous education, you can apply via Studielink.Apply now
- Main language
- Study duration
- 2 years (120 EC)
- Starting months
- February, September
- Contact hours
- Number of students
- Programme format
- Full time
- Master of Arts, specialisation of Research Master's in Philosophy
Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies
- CROHO code
What will you learn
The specialisation in Philosophy of Religion explores both classical questions concerning religion, such as the problem of evil, the conceptualization of faith and religious practices, and the issues of religious pluralism and (in)tolerance. You will focus on questions like what is the relation between philosophy and religion in Western culture and in other cultural contexts? How does modern and contemporary philosophy reflect on religion? What is meant by a philosophical critique of religion? Which theories of religion have been developed? What is religious experience? Key authors include Agamben, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Weber, Freud, De Certeau, Foucault, Gauchet, Said and Taylor.Study Programme
Future career opportunities
This programme has been designed for people with the ambition to conduct philosophical research at a university. Graduates tend to fall into one of three groups:
- A majority of the students continue their research within academia by applying for a doctoral programme in the Netherlands or abroad. We take particular pride in the fact that more than 55 percent of our graduates manage to obtain a PhD position within two years of graduating.
- A second group goes on to teach philosophy at secondary schools.
- And a third group enters research-related professions outside of education.
Our graduates are also represented in journalism, science policy, and politics.
The reputation of Radboud University – and of the Philosophy Faculty in particular – will definitely serve you well whichever career path you choose.Career prospects
The research related to this specialisation is primarily embedded in the Center for Contemporary European Philosophy (CCEP). The center’s strong tradition in continental philosophy with a special attention for psychoanalysis and intercultural approaches defines the research in the field of the philosophy of religion. The research in this field focusses on:
- Contemporary philosophical approaches of religion and religious thought
- Anthropological questions in relation to religion
- Religion in intercultural perspective
Recent master theses
- Foucault and the care of the self
- Cusanus’ metaphysics and the question of superiority
Questions about this programme?
Do you have a question about this programme? We're happy to help. Please contact us, ask a student or check out our information activities.Contact
Tuitions & grants
If you are going to follow this Master's programme, you will pay an annual tuition fee. There are different tuition rates. The amount depends on your personal situation.Tuition & Grants