Something for you?
- The focal point in this specialisation is the city: its hybrid nature, its political economy, its active civil society and the daily struggles and advantages of urban life.
- Our approach is highly multidisciplinary to include related fields as spatial planning and anthropology.
- We define culture as the behaviours and beliefs of people in society. Culture in the sense of the arts and architecture are included when seen of as a form of expression by the community.
Do you want to know if you can be admitted? Read more about the admission requirements of this programme.Admission and application
If you have determined that you can be admitted with your previous education, you can apply via Studielink.Apply now
- Main language
- Study duration
- 1 years (60 EC)
- Starting months
- Contact hours
- Programme format
- Dual, Full time
- Master of Science, specialisation of Human Geography
Nijmegen School of Management
- CROHO code
What will you learn
Cities have become the vibrant and dynamic focal points of our society. These diverse agglomerations of people, companies and organisations are regarded as creative places as well as places of conflict for divergent communities. In this specialisation, you will analyse and critically evaluate cultural, economic, political, and social changes in cities, and how they affect urban life. Important themes are urban representations, (super)diversity, gender, care, and everyday lived experiences.Study programme
Future career opportunities
Our alumni are prepared for a (inter)national career in government, semi-government, and business. They can apply for jobs such as:
- Developer at a municipality
- Consultant in the field of multiculturalism and integration
- Practitioner at the cultural industry
To indicate the type of research in this specialisation, a few examples:
- What is the relation between cities and festivals (or other events)?
- How can we improve shrinking cities?
- How can certain places (libraries, marketplaces, cinemas, public transport) facilitate social interactions and contribute to alleviating systemic challenges such as loneliness?
Questions about this programme?
Do you have a question about this programme? We're happy to help. Please contact us, ask a student or check out our information activities.Contact
Tuitions & grants
If you are going to follow this Master's programme, you will pay an annual tuition fee. There are different tuition rates. The amount depends on your personal situation.Tuition