Working as an international student

As an international student in the Netherlands, you might want to take a part-time job to cover your costs of living or so that you can gain a different experience of Dutch society. You are allowed to work alongside your studies, but there are restrictions that depend on your nationality.

EU/EEA students

If you are from the EU/EEA, Switzerland or Croatia you are free to work and there are no restrictions.

Other students

If you are from a country outside the EU/EEA, or you are not from Switzerland or Croatia, there are some restrictions if you wish to work alongside your studies. You will require a work permit and you will only be able to work for a maximum of 16 hours a week; as an alternative, you may also work full-time but only during the summer months of June, July and August. In this case, your employer will need to apply for the work permit on your behalf. 

For more information about studying and working in the Netherlands, see the Study in Holland website. 

This website is still under construction. More information: 'a new website'.