Dr H.L. Aalbers (Rick)
Associate professor - Strategy
Rick Aalbers is a tenured Associate Professor in Strategy and Innovation at the department of Business Administration of Radboud University. He has been a visiting scholar at Imperial College London and National University of Ireland at Galway and The Tokyo Institute of Technology. Rick’s research focuses on organizational restructuring and innovation and revolves around the following research lines:
• Responsible restructuring and downsizing
• Corporate collaboration and innovation
• Organizational resilience
His work on these themes has been accepted for publication by leading international journals, including Research Policy, Long Range Planning, Journal of Product Innovation Management, MIT Sloan Management Review (winner MIT’s Richard Beckhard award), Journal of Business Research, Harvard Business Review, Social Science and Medicine and the British Journal of Management, among others. A monograph on Innovation networks appeared with Routledge in 2015.
Spearheading the theme of Responsible Restructuring, Rick founded the Radboud Centre for Organization Restructuring in 2012. As Principal Investigator he had research grants awarded at both EU and national levels (EC horizon2020 / NWO) on technology and restructuring related themes. Rick currently serves as program coordinator and principal investigator of the Marie Curie ITN Program FINDER, a competitive research grant by the European Commission.
A native of The Netherlands, he holds a Masters degree in Business Administration from Rotterdam School of Management, a second Masters degree in Business Economics (cum laude) from Erasmus University's School of Economics and a PhD in Business and Economics from Groningen University (recipient best dissertation award).
Rick teaches the above themes at bachelor-master and executive program level. Prior to his academic career, Rick worked as a Manager at Deloitte Consulting where he advised on strategic change.
- Reorganization, corporate strategy and Innovation
- Strategic Management
- McCarthy, K. & Aalbers R. (2022). Alliance-To-Acquisition Transitions: The Technological Performance Implications of Acquiring One’s Alliance Partners, Research Policy, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2022.104512 Full text
- Aalbers R., McCarthy, K. & Heimeriks, K. (2021). Market Reactions to Acquisition Announcements: The Importance of Signaling ‘Why’ and ‘Where’". Long Range Planning, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2021.102105 Full text
- Aalbers, R. (2020). Rewiring the Intrafirm Network under Downsizing: The Role of Tie Loss on Discretionary Tie Formation, Long Range Planning, Volume 53, Issue 3, 101858 Full text
- McCarthy, K. J., & Aalbers, H. L. (2016). Technological acquisitions: The impact of geography on post-acquisition innovative performance. Research Policy, 45(9), 1818-1832.
- Selected others: - McCarthy, K.; R. Aalbers, and Groen, A. (2023) How Many M&A Advisors Do You Really Need? Harvard Business Review - Aalbers, H.L., Dolfsma, W. & Leenders, R.Th.A.J. (2016). Vertical and Horizontal Cross-Ties: Benefits of Cross-Hierarchy and Cross-Unit Ties for Innovative Project Teams. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 33(2), 141-153. - Aalbers, R., Dolfsma W. and Koppius, O. (2013). Individual Positioning in Innovation Networks: on the Role of Individual Motivation. Research Policy, 42 (3), 624-634. - Whelan, E., Parise, S., De Valk, J. & Aalbers, R. (2011). Creating Employee Networks That Deliver Open Innovation. MIT Sloan Management Review, 53 (1), 37-44. (Award winning - MIT's Richard Beckhard Memorial Prize) Full text
- Radboud Repository
- Research Information Services (RIS)
H index: 20
Research grants and prizes
- 2022 - EC H2020-MSCA-ITN Grant - ‘FINDER’ Foster Innovation Networks in a Digital Era - 1.8 Mio Euro - Principal Investigator More information
- 2018 - 2 NWO KIEM Grants - ‘Collaborative Networks as a Safety Net in the Performing Arts: A Network Based Approach to Employment Resilience in a Struggling Sector’ - 25K Euro - Principal Investigator & 'Viable business model design for networked and project-focused creatives' - Co-applicant More information
- 2015 - External research grant (industry funded) on real estate strategy in the Dutch Healthcare (Beaufort)External research grant (industry funded) on Strategic restructuring through PREPACK (BDO)External research grant (industry funded) on Network analytics (Deloitte) More information
- 2014 - Recipient of the ROA Professional Publication Prize. Best Dutch Business administration article of the year: Aalbers, H.L. and J. de Valk (2014). De Adaptieve Organisatie, Management & Organisatie, pp. 5-18. More information
- 2018 - NWO Sustainable Business Models II Grant - ‘Transitions towards more sustainable business models in a complex stakeholder field’ - Co-Investigator - 120K Euro More information
- 2017 - 2022 PhD trajectory Mrs. Jasmina Rueger -Health Information Exchange in Online Peer Support Networks (status: completed) More information
- 2017 - 2022 PhD trajectory Mr. Matthew Ajimati - Social Network Multiplexity in Software Development (dual degree Radboud University & National University of Ireland, Galway, status: completed) More information
- 2016 - 2021 PhD trajectory Mrs. Jinhan Jiao - Dynamics of interpersonal trust: a social network perspective (completed) PhD trajectory Mr. Shuto Miyashita - Data instrumentation for science based collaboration and its knowledge-structural features (collaboration with Tokyo Institute of Technology, status: completed) More information
- 2018 - Ongoing PhD trajectories: Jonas Roettger, Jasper van Boven (Wageningen U), Ami Wang, James Ellis, Jonas Geisen, Matthijs van Essen
- 2022 - 2022 Co-organizer of the 2022 Strategic Management Society Pre Conference program on Behavioral Biases and Corporate Transformation Strategies in London More information
- 2012 - BKO and UKO qualified (Basic and Advanced academic teaching qualifications under the Dutch university teaching standards)
- 2018 - IMR best researcher award
- 20 April 2022 - Academy of Management - Nominee Best Submission with Practical Implications Award 2022- MOC division
- 12 April 2022 - Insolvency regime article in ESB (FD Media) with J. van Boven & K. Limburg More information
- 02 February 2020 - Prepack article on Oxford Business Law Blog More information
- 05 April 2018 - Dividend tax article in Financieele Dagblad (with M. Aalbers) More information
- 24 July 2018 - Insolvency article in Financieele Dagblad (with L. Noordman) More information
Strategic Minds - director/owner
(01 January 2012)
committee member - PBvL 2022-II
(04 September 2022 - 31 August 2023)
NWO (Dutch Science Council)
member of the
supervisory committee 'Evaluation Act passing on costs of supervision and disciplinary law for legal professions'
(04 September 2022 - 31 July 2023)
Ministry of Justice - WODC
Advisory board member Unipartners / Synergy / FINDER
Adviesraad Rabobank Energietransitie
(31 May 2021)
Volunteer firefighter - "manschap"
(04 April 2022)
Veiligheidsregio Utrecht - - Fire Department
Member IMR Scientific Advisory Committee
(31 October 2022)