Dr E.C.C.A. Blommaert (Lieselotte)
Assistant professor - Radboud Social Cultural Research
Assistant professor - Sociology
Thomas van Aquinostraat 4
6525 GD NIJMEGEN
Dr. Lieselotte Blommaert studies inclusion and exclusion, inequalities, diversity and discrimination in the labour market.
Her research deals with ethnic differences (differences according to migration background), gender differences and/or differences across socio-economic groups in the labour market. It is aimed at shedding light on the sources of such differences, focusing for example on the role of attitudes and stereotypes, human and social capital, and the cultural and institutional context and policies / interventions (e.g. at the organizational and/or country level).
She adresses questions that are both scientifically and societally relevant in order to contribute to finding solutions for contemporary challenges.
In her work, she often uses innovative combinations of survey research, experimental methods (field, lab and survey experiments), interview methods, and case studies.
- Blommaert, L., Meuleman, R., Leenheer, S. & Butkevica, A. (2020). The gender gap in job authority: Do social network resources matter? Acta Sociologica, 63(4), 381–399. Full text
- Blommaert, L., & van den Brink, M. (2020). Gender equality in appointments of board members: The role of multiple actors and their dynamics. European Management Review, 17(3), 633-647. Full text
- Blommaert, L., Muja, A., Gesthuizen, M. & Wolbers, M. H. J. (2020). The vocational specificity of educational systems and youth labour market integration: A literature review and meta-analysis. European Sociological Review, 36(5), 720–740. Full text
- Van den Berg, C.J.W., Blommaert, L., Bijleveld, C.C.J.H. & Ruiter, S. (2020). Employment opportunities for ex-offenders: A field experiment on how type of crime and applicants' ethnic background affect employment opportunities fow low-educated men in the Netherlands. Research in Social Stratification and Mobility, 65, 100476. Full text
- Blommaert, L., Van Tubergen, F. & Coenders, M. (2014). Discrimination of Arabic-Named Applicants in the Netherlands: An Internet-Based Field Experiment Examining Different Phases in Online Recruitment Procedures. Social Forces, 92 (3), 957-982. Full text
- 2016 - 2020 Craftsmanship as a solution to youth unemployment? The influence of the vocational orientation of education on the labor market integration of youth. Funded by Instituut Gak (grant number 2015 – 680) More information
- Diversity, leadership and change More information
- 2023 - Support for (or opposition to) antidiscrimination and diversity measures in the Netherlands and Europe. To what extent is there support for or opposition to various types of antidiscrimination or diversity policies (that that can be introduced by organizations) in the Netherlands and other European countries? To what extent and how do levels of support for such policies differ between citizens within and across different European countries? Instituut Gak fellowship at the Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIAS-KNAW), February-June 2023 More information