Prof. T. Brandsen (Taco)
6500 HK NIJMEGEN
Taco Brandsen’s research focuses on the current issues facing policymakers and managers in public service delivery. How can innovation be encouraged? What happens when organisations in the public services operate at the intersection of state, market and civil society? How can citizens participate meaningfully in the (co-) production of these services? He has conducted research in various areas, including social services, education, housing, and health care.
He is secretary-general of EAPAA, the European association that accredits public administration programmes in higher education, and president of the EMES International Research Network for Social Enterprise.
- Brandsen, T., Appe, S. & Simsa, R. (2021). How to Get Published: Practical Advice. Voluntas. International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, 32 (3), 531-533. doi: 10.1007/s11266-021-00356-4 Full text
- Simsa, R. & Brandsen, T. (2021). The Evolution of Third Sector Research and the Journal Voluntas: The Editors’ Impressions. Voluntas. International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, 32 (1), 1-2. doi: 10.1007/s11266-020-00294-7 Full text
- Verschuere, B. & Brandsen, T. (2021). Besturen in een complexe tijd. Pleidooi voor een andere democratische cultuur. In J. De Groof (Ed.), Utopie voor Realisten. De Verrekijker voor Toekomstdenkers. Tielt: Lannoo Campus Full text
- Geffen, M. van, Brandsen, T., Lako, C.J. & Brand-De Wilde, O. (2020). Kwaliteitssystemen in de Nederlandse ggz hebben weinig impact op de praktijk van de zorg. Tijdschrift voor Psychiatrie, 62 (10), 888-895. Full text
- Pape, U., Brandsen, T., Pahl, B., Pieliński, B., Baturina, D., Brookes, N., Chaves-Ávila, R., Kendall, J., Matančević, J., Petrella, F., Rentzsch, C., Richez-Battesti, N., Savall-Morera, T., Simsa, R. & Zimmer, A. (2020). Changing policy environments in Europe and the resilience of the third sector. Voluntas. International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, 31 (1), 238. doi: 10.1007/s11266-018-00087-z Full text
- Steen, T. & Brandsen, T. (2020). Co‐production during and after the Covid‐19 pandemic: will it last? Public Administration Review, 80 (5), 851-855. doi: 10.1111/puar.13258 Full text
- Lember, V., Brandsen, T. & Tonurist, P. (2019). The potential impacts of digital technologies on co-production and co-creation. Public Management Review, 21 (11), 1665-1686. doi: 10.1080/14719037.2019.1619807 Full text
- Brandsen, T., Steen, T. & Verschuere, B. (Ed.). (2018). Co-Production and Co-Creation Engaging Citizens in Public Services. London: Routledge Full text
- Brandsen, T. & Honingh, M.E. (2016). Distinguishing Different Types of Coproduction: A Conceptual Analysis Based on the Classical Definitions. Public Administration Review, 76 (3), 427-435. doi: 10.1111/puar.12465
- Brandsen, T., Cattacin, S., Evers, A. & Zimmer, A. (Ed.). (2016). Social Innovations in the Urban Context (Nonprofit and Civil Society Studies). New York: Springer Nature doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-21551-8 Full text
Research grants and prizes
- G.A. Van Poelje Award for the best doctoral dissertation inpublic policy and administration in the Netherlands in 2001.
- Christopher Pollitt Award for best article published in the International Review of Administrative Sciences in 2017.
- 2021 - 2024 Project INTERLINK: The aim of the EU-funded project INTERLINK (Innovating goverNment and ciTizen co-dEliveRy for the digitaL sINgle marKet) is to develop a new collaborative governance model that promotes the reuse and sharing of existing public services leveraging on the partnership between citizens, private actors, and public administrations More information
- 2017 - 2023 Co-production in mental health care: Through a vignette study, we are examining under which conditions professionals are willing to give clients more responsibility in designing their own treatment. By now we have collected data from several hundred therapists, adding to the small but significant body of evidence showing how vulnerable people can be involved in co-production.
- 2020 - 2023 Research into the organizational model of the municipality of Ommen commissioned by the province of Overijssel and the municipality of Ommen
- 2014 - 2017 Third Sector Impact: The Third Sector has been defined and measured in various ways; it has been credited with generating varied positive impact and some barriers for its development have been already identified. However, how can we define the Third Sector? How can it be measured? How can we assess its impact? And, lastly, how can we support its development? The EU-funded project addressed this issue, with researchers from ten universities. More information
- 2010 - 2014 WILCO (Welfare Innovations at the Local Level in Favour of Cohesion): This project examined social innovations in twenty cities in ten countries across Europe and analysed the specific contexts in which they arose. Funded by the European Commission under the 7th European Framework Programme. Consortium of ten countries and two research networks, of which I was the coordinator. More information
Secretary-General of the European Association for Public Administration Accreditation (EAPAA)
(01 January 2013)
President of the EMES International Research Network for Social Enterprise
(01 October 2021)