H.P.M. Carlsson MSc (Hanna)
Researcher - Geography
6525 AJ NIJMEGEN
6500 HK NIJMEGEN
Hanna Carlsson is a doctoral student at the department of Geography, Planning and Environment at the Institute for Management Research. She currently researches how aged care and social care practices respond to the needs and preferences of older people from ethnic minorities in the cities of Nijmegen and The Hague.
Hanna has a strong interest in investigating how inequality are reproduced and challenged in daily social practices. Her previous research projects have investigated reproduction of gender norms in boxing gyms and access to the city for visually impaired people through an investigation of daily mobility patterns.
She has taught in the course Qualitative methods and supervised Bachelor theses. In addition, she provides guest lectures in courses on Urban Geography and Diversity in the workplace. She has also coordinated a summer school Migrant Inclusion in Policy and Practice on behalf of the RUNOMI (Radboud University Network on Migrant Inclusion).
She is an active member of ENIEC, a European Network on Intercultural Elderly Care. She also cooperates with local stakeholders to improve aged care for older people from minorities in Nijmegen.
- Diversity-mainstreaming in times of ageing and migration: implementation paradoxes in municipal aged care provision. Hanna Carlsson and Roos Pijpers. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies. Published online: 03 Jan 2021 Full text
- Working towards health equity for ethnic minority elders: spanning the boundaries of neighbourhood governance. Hanna Carlsson and Roos Pijpers. Journal of Health, Organization and Management. Published online: 23 Dec 2020 Full text
- Day-care centres for older migrants: spaces to translate practices in the care landscape. Hanna Carlsson, Roos Pijpers, Rianne van Melik. Journal of Social & Cultural Geography, Published online: 31 Jan 2020 Full text
- De impact van het wijkgerichte werken voor de toeleiding naar zorg van oudere migranten, Oudere migranten en het wijkgerichte werken in zorg en welzijn. Roos Pijpers and Hanna Carlsson Tijdschrift voor Gerontologie en Geriatrie, Published online: 15 Nov 2018 Full text
- Researching boxing bodies in Scotland: Using apprenticeship to study the embodied construction of gender in hyper masculine space. Hanna Carlsson. Gender, Place & Culture, Published online: 06 Jul 2017 Full text
Research grants and prizes
- 2020 - Liz West best paper awardSociety for Studies in Organizing Health care OBHC 2020 Liz West Best PhD Paper: Hanna Carlsson, Roos Pijpers “Crafting outreach and social support services for older migrants: Convergence and divergence in two local landscapes of health and social care in the Netherlands”
- 2020 - IMR Best PhD paper award
- 2019 - Christine Mohrmann grant Travel grant awarded to promising female doctoral students at Radboud University More information
- 2016 - 2021 Caring for diversity: Meeting the care needs of elderly migrants This project investigates how municipalities respond to the diverse care needs and preferences of older people from ethnic minorities. The focus is on the interplay between national and local policy trends and daily practices of policy officers, managers and front-line workers in health and social care. The aim is to provide a better understanding of how local aged care provision copes with diverse populations in the context of post multiculturalism and decentralization of services; political developments which are occurring in several immigration countries in Europe.