Dr O. Colizoli (Olympia)
Assistant professor - Cognitive Psychology
Assistant professor - Donders Centre for Cognition
Assistant professor - Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour
Thomas van Aquinostraat 4
6525 GD NIJMEGEN
6500 HE NIJMEGEN
The goal of my research is to understand how the human brain constructs unique subjective experiences (qualia) of the external world. I investigate this by combining neuroimaging techniques and computational modeling together with innovative learning paradigms.
The driving motivation behind my research is the fact that we do not perceive the world as it is objectively; instead, our brains actively shape and construct our perception. The ultimate question becomes: Then how do our brains 'decide' what we perceive?
I assume that our unique subjective experiences are the result of an interaction between external causes (e.g., the probabilities of events happening) and internal states (e.g., the individual's preferences and motivation). By employing innovative cross-modal learning paradigms together with brainstem-centered fMRI and computational modeling of decision making, I seek to unravel this interaction between the external and internal variables that together determine individual differences in qualia.
- Rutar, D.*, Colizoli, O.*, Selen, L., Spieß, L., Kwisthout, J.**, & Hunnius, S.** (2023). Differentiating between Bayesian parameter learning and structure learning based on behavioural and pupil measures. PloS one, 18(2), e0270619.*shared 1st authorship. **shared senior authorship. Full text
- Colizoli, O., de Gee, J. W., van der Zwaag, W., & Donner, T. H. (2022). Functional magnetic resonance imaging responses during perceptual decision‐making at 3 and 7 T in human cortex, striatum, and brainstem. Human Brain Mapping, 43(4), 1265-1279. Full text
- Heil, L., Colizoli, O., Hartstra, E., Kwisthout, J., van Pelt, S., van Rooij, I., & Bekkering, H. (2019). Processing of prediction errors in mentalizing areas. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 31(6), 900-912. Full text
- Colizoli, O., de Gee, J. W., Urai, A. E., & Donner, T. H. (2018). Task-evoked pupil responses reflect internal belief states. Scientific reports, 8(1), 13702. Full text
- de Gee, J. W., Colizoli, O., Kloosterman, N. A., Knapen, T., Nieuwenhuis, S., & Donner, T. H. (2017). Dynamic modulation of decision biases by brainstem arousal systems. elife, 6, e23232. Full text