Dr B. Englitz (Bernhard)
Associate professor - Donders Centre for Neuroscience - Neurobiology
Associate professor - Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour
The brain is a formidable computing device, outperforming our smartest algorithms in flexibility and efficiency. Understanding its key principles will enable both fundamental insights, novel treatments and technological applications.
In the lab we try to discover some of these principles using a combination of computational and neurophysiological tools. Specifically we are interested in developing and applying advanced analysis to complex, real-world conditions. Examples include multisensory integration, statistically defined stimuli (‘Textures’) and complex, naturalistic stimuli. We perform experiments in humans (EEG + behavior) and mice (Large scale neuronal recordings + behavior).
- Keine C, Rübsamen R, Englitz B (2017) Signal integration at spherical bushy cells enhances representation of temporal structure but limits its range. eLife; doi:10.7554/eLife.29639
- Boubenec Y, Lawlor J, Gorska U, Shamma SA, Englitz B (2017) Detecting changes in dynamic and complex acoustic scenes. eLife, doi:10.7554/eLife.24910.
- Keine C, Rübsamen R, Englitz B (2016) Inhibition in the auditory brainstem enhances signal representation and regulates gain in complex acoustic environments. eLife;10.7554/eLife.19295
- Huang C, Resnik A, Celikel T, Englitz, B. (2016) Adaptive Spike Threshold Enables Robust and Temporally Precise Neuronal Encoding. PLoS Comput Biol.
- Stiefel KM, Englitz B, Sejnowski TJ, (2013). Origin of intrinsic irregular firing in cortical interneurons. PNAS, 110, 7886-91.
H index: 12
Research grants and prizes
- 2015 - Marie-Sklodowska-Curie Fellowship (€200k, Nº 660328)> More information
- 2016 - DCN Ph.D. student (€220k, with Mike X Cohen)> More information
- 2017 - ALW Open Ph.D. Grant (€300k)> More information
- 2017 - ZonMw, Technology Hotel Grant (€30k, with Simon Fisher, MPI)> More information
- 2018 - NWO VIDI (€800k) (2019-2024)> More information
- Additional Internship and Report
- Bachelor Internship and Report
- Bachelor Thesis
- Bachelorstage Natuur- en Sterrenkunde
- Biology Essay
- Brain and Behaviour
- Hands-on Neuroscience
- Internship Bachelor Biology
- MSc Human Biology internship
- Master (Medical) Biology SMI/SIS internship
- Master (Medical) Biology education internship
- Master (Medical) Biology research internship 1
- Master (Medical) Biology research internship 2
- Master Thesis (TWM)
- Master Thesis Physics and Astronomy
- Master Thesis Project Physics and Astronomy
- Neural Basis of Motor Control
- Quantitative Brain Networks
- Research Proposal
- Review Article
- Science, Management and Innovation Research Project
- Second Internship
- Systematic Reviews in Neuroscience
- Third Internship