Dr S.J. Forkel (Stephanie)
Principal Investigator - Donders Centre for Cognition
Assistant Professor - Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
Assistant professor - Psycholinguïstics
Thomas van Aquinostraat 4
6525 GD NIJMEGEN
We are all unique human beings, and our interindividual differences have created the richness of our diverse communities and society. In the medical world, the quest for inter-individual variability has led to the new discipline of precision medicine. However, we are only at the cusp of understanding how variable we are and what these differences mean for our behaviours and in a clinical setting.
In my early research, I pioneered the demonstration that differences in the brain’s connectional anatomy have an impact on cognitive recovery after a stroke. Recent advances in the sensitivity and specificity of neuroimaging methods indicate that our brains' variability — Neurovariability — determines our susceptibility to brain disorders and recovery after brain lesions.
We use clinical-anatomical methods (lesions, structural/functional MRI, neuropsychology) in the healthy and pathological (stroke, tumours) brain to map the variability in the population and identify diverging phenotypes.
Understanding what we all share and what makes us unique will change how we approach diagnostics of neurological disorders and improve precision medicine.
Discover and discuss exciting science with us: www.youtube.com/c/ClinicalNeuroanatomySeminars
Research grants and prizes
- 2021 - Donders Mohrmann Fellowship
- 2021 - Horizon2020 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship
- 2020 - Excellence Framework Research Award
- 2014 - James S. McDonnell Foundation Fellowship
- 2009 - Guy's and St Thomas' Charity Fellowship
- 2021 - Habilitation, Center National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS)
- 2019 - Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol), British Psychological Society More information
- 2018 - Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA) More information
- 2013 - PhD, King's College London (UK)
- 25 February 2022 - [Theater production] Jetzt Immer Eine Theaterinstallation von Baudy / Hegenuber den berühmten Amnesiepatient Henry Molaison (Patient H.M.) More information
- 20 September 2021 - [Nature's Peer review week interview] Hear from Communications Biology Editorial Board Members and referees. The full video is available through Nature's channel: https://youtu.be/UD0AyruHkTQ More information
- 14 August 2019 - [SZ Interview] Wenn Spitzenforscher wütend werden. More information
- 20 March 2018 - [Exhibition] Science Gallery London Spart Parts - The downloadable brain exhibition (curated by Stephanie Forkel) More information
- 04 June 2015 - [Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting] Nobel Laureate Interview with Professor Elizabeth Blackburn More information
TUM Global Visiting Professor at the School of Medicine
(01 April 2022)
Technical University of Munich
Visiting Senior Lecturer at the Department of Neuroimaging
(01 December 2021)
Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King's College London
Brain Structure and Function (Springer/Nature)
Editorial Board and Social Media Editor
SECTION EDITOR FOR HUMAN NEUROANATOMY for the Encyclopedia of the Human Brain (EoHB) to be published with Elsevier (Eds. Jordan Grafman).
Organization of Human Brain Mapping Programme committee | Communication Commitee | Podcast lead | YouTube digital embassador
Organization of Human Brain Mapping YouTube
NEURAL works to improve equitable access in the research, diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of neurological disorders across the globe.
Neuroscience Alliance NGO
Founder & Chair of the Clinical Neuroanatomy Seminars (@CNSeminars)
Clinical Neuroanatomy Seminars