Dr E.H. Hense (Elisabeth)
Associate professor - Textual, Historical and Systematic studies of Judaism and Christianity
6525 HT NIJMEGEN
What is spirituality, and what is mysticism? How common are these phenomena? As a theologian, I search for the answers to these questions in various sources throughout the rich Christian tradition to shed light on the debate between the Theology of Spirituality and the modern sciences.
Theology of spirituality and mysticism
I investigate both older and newer forms of spirituality. Continuing the work of Titus Brandsma, I have translated texts by classic writers in the Carmelite tradition like St John of the Cross, and I have retrieved the writings of forgotten yet important Carmelite writers like Maria Petyt and Francis Amelry. The transmission of their spirituality has resulted in extraordinary contemporary music theatre productions. These productions, too, have become a subject of my research.
Throughout history, Christian spirituality has encountered many other spiritual traditions and this phenomenon is increasing in today’s globalised world. I have examined some of them and have reflected upon their meaning. The old question of discernment of the spirits has therefore become topical again to me. A key aspect of discernment is compassion, expressed through works of mercy in the Christian tradition. This track record of expertise has fed into my current research on societal renewal, which investigates how these works of mercy remain relevant in society and can resolve the so-called “wicked problems” that our society confronts today.
Potential graduate students interested in the following areas are invited to contact me via email:
- Topics and thinkers in Spirituality and Mysticism
- Carmelite Spirituality
- Studies on Titus Brandsma
- Flemish Spirituality
- Societal Engaged Spirituality
- Greening in Dutch parishes
- Spiritual Discernment
- Hense, E.H. & Chalmers, J. (Ed.). (2023). Titus Brandsma - Mysticism: Fundamentals and Characteristic Features (Collected Works of Titus Brandsma, 4). Rome: Edizioni Carmelitane Full text
- Hense, E.H. (2023). Titus Brandsma Circle.
- Hense, E.H. (2023). Titus Brandsma Congress. Full text
- Hense, E.H. & de Jel, E.J. (2021). Titus Brandsma - Briefe an die Familie. Münster: Aschendorff
- Hense, E.H. & Chalmers, J. (Ed.). (2021). Titus Brandsma: Letters to the Family (Collected Works, 2). Rome: Edizioni Carmelitane
- Hense, E.H. & Chalmers, J. (Ed.). (2021). Titus Brandsma: Mysticism in Action (Collected Works, 1). Rome: Edizioni Carmelitane
- Hense, E.H. & Chalmers, J. (2020). Francis Amelry: The Path to Spiritual Maturity. Rome: Edizioni Carmelitane
- Hense, E.H. (2018). Titus Brandsma. Mystik und Martyrium (Schriften d. Forschungsinstituts d. Dt. Provinz der Karmeliten, 2). Münster: Aschendorff
- Hense, E.H., van den Berg, L. & van Boxtel, M. (Ed.). (2017). Volle oogst. Nieuwe waarden en voedselnetwerken. Utrecht: Jan van Arkel
- Hense, E.H. (2016). Early Christian Discernment of Spirits (Forschung und Wissenschaft). Wien: LIT
- Hense, E.H., Chalmers, J., Meeuwsen, V.A.R. & Vate ocarm, E.J. van de (Ed.). (2015). Maria Petyt - A Carmelite Mystic in Wartime (Radboud Studies in Humanities, 4). Leiden / Boston: Brill doi: 10.1163/9789004291874 Full text
- Hense, E.H. (2015). New Philology as Helpful for Spirituality Research. Spiritus, 15 (2), 172-190. doi: 10.1353/scs.2015.0038 Full text
- Hense, E.H. (2015). Spirituality in the German Speaking World, in Holland and Belgium after Council Vatican II. In Teologia Spirituale e Concilio Vaticano II: Recezioni e prospettive Vol. 8. Mysterion.It (pp. 153-172). Pontificia Università Gregoriana
- Hense, E.H. (2015). Vernieuwingsinitiatieven rond eten, zorg en geld in Nederland - een kwestie van spiritualiteit. Amsterdam: VU University Press Full text
- 2019 - Dr Elisabeth Hense manages the research project Green parishes in The Netherlands. This research project makes an inventory and analysis of green activities in Catholic parishes in The Netherlands. More information