Dr M.E. Honingh (Marlies)
Associate professor - Public Administration
6525 AJ NIJMEGEN
6500 HK NIJMEGEN
Marlies Honingh’s research focuses on civic democracy. More concretely this concerns issues of governance, checks and balances, supervision, citizenship and co-production. Focusing on education she answers questions like: How can the quality of collaborative decision-making or supervision be improved? Or, How can parents and or students have a meaningful role as co-producers in education? Questions like these mark the significance of education the formation and socialization of pupils to learn how to act in our democracy. Together with Carolien van Ham and Wim van Meurs she launched the research network “Sustainable Democracy”.
- Honingh, M., Ruiter, M., S. van Thiel (2018). Are school boards and educational quality related? Results of an international literature review, EDUCATIONAL REVIEW
- Brandsen, T. and Honingh, M. (2016). Distinguishing different types of co-production: a conceptual analysis based on the classical definitions. Public Administration Review, 76(3), 427-435.
- Honingh, M.E., Genugten, M.L. van, Gooyert, V. de & Blom, R. (2021). What is the impact of a principle-based inspection approach? School Effectiveness and School Improvement.
- Stevenson, L. & Honingh, M. (2021). Hoe verder met artikel 23? Regulering in de laatmoderniteit. Liberale Reflecties, 62(3), 41-49. Teldersstichting Den Haag.
- Fledderus, J., Brandsen, T., and Honingh, M. E. (2014). Restoring trust through the co-production of public services: a theoretical elaboration. Public Management Review, 16(3), 424-443
Research grants and prizes
- VIde Paper award 2022
- NWO-Aspasiagrant 2019
- NRO research grant 2019
- NRO PROBO Research grant
- NRO Research grant 2015
- 2021 - 2024 Project INTERLINK: The aim of the EU-funded project INTERLINK (Innovating goverNment and ciTizen co-dEliveRy for the digitaL sINgle marKet) is to develop a new collaborative governance model that promotes the reuse and sharing of existing public services leveraging on the partnership between citizens, private actors, and public administrations More information
- 2018 - 2022 NRO PROBO-granted project In this project we took up the challenge to (1) study internal steering practices in Dutch schools for primary education and (2) test to what extent the internal steering practices impact how teacher teams and their school leaders perform on exploration. More information
- 2017 - 2020 This NRO granted project focuses on the effects of the renewed working approach of the Inspectorate of Education in primary and secondary schools and in the VET sector.
- 2016 - 2017 NRO granted project. The purpose of this systematic literature review was to generate a systematic overview of the literature available on the relation between school boards and educational quality. In particular, we looked at compositional and behavioural factors of school boards. We aimed to identify key publications in the scholarly literature about educational governance and, in so doing, to answer the questions of whether and how school boards and educational quality are related. More information
Lid van de geschillenadviescommissie van het CvB
(01 January 2018)
Voorzitter NRO-programmacommissie Werken in het onderwijs
(01 October 2021 - 31 December 2025)
Co-chair van de EGPA permanent study group Citizen Participation
(01 August 2020)
Voorzitter van de Evaluatie & Monitoring Commissie (EMC) van de VTOI-NVTK
(VTOI-NVTK vertegenwoordigt intern toezichthouders uit de sectoren kinderopvang en onderwijs)
(01 April 2023 - 01 March 2025)