Dr E. Janse (Esther)
Associate professor - Centre for Language Studies
Associate professor - Department of Language and Communication
6525 HT NIJMEGEN
6500 HD NIJMEGEN
I am a researcher in speech processing. I study spoken communication across the adult life span, in healthy and clinical populations (such as hearing-impaired or neurologically impaired adults). I teach in Radboud University's Linguistics programmes, particularly in the Speech and Language Pathology track within Linguistics.
Please see my personal website (www.estherjanse.nl) for a complete list of my publications.
- Eijk, L.D., Fletcher, A., McAuliffe, M. & Janse, E. (2020). The Effects of Word Frequency and Word Probability on Speech Rhythm in Dysarthria. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 63 (9), 2833-2845. doi: 10.1044/2020_JSLHR-19-00389
- Shen, C. & Janse, E. (2020). Maximum Speech Performance and Executive Control in Young Adult Speakers. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 63 (11), 3611-3627. doi: 10.1044/2020_JSLHR-19-00257 Full text
- Tamati, T.N., Janse, E. & Baskent, D. (2019). Perceptual discrimination of speaking style under cochlear implant simulation. Ear and Hearing, 40 (1), 63-76. doi: 10.1097/AUD.0000000000000591 Full text
- Moers, C., Meyer, A.S. & Janse, E. (2017). Effects of word frequency and transitional probability on word reading durations of younger and older speakers. Language and Speech, 60 (2), 289-317. doi: 10.1177/0023830916649215
- Koch, X. & Janse, E. (2016). Speech rate effects on the processing of conversational speech across the adult life span. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 139 (4), 1618-1636. doi: 10.1121/1.4944032 Full text
- Neger, T.M., Rietveld, A.C.M. & Janse, E. (2014). Relationship between perceptual learning in speech and statistical learning in younger and older adults. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 8 (628), online-17. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2014.00628 Full text
- Janse, E. & Adank, P.M. (2012). Predicting foreign-accent adaptation in older adults. The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 65, 1563-1585. doi: 10.1080/17470218.2012.658822 Available from: [01-01-2012].
- Jesse, A. & Janse, E. (2012). Audiovisual benefit for recognition of speech presented with single-talker noise in older listeners. Language and Cognitive Processes, 27 (7/8), 1167-1191. doi: 10.1080/01690965.2011.620335 Available from: [01-01-2012].
- Adank, P. & Janse, E. (2010). Comprehension of a novel accent by young and older listeners. Psychology and Aging, 25 (3), 736-740. doi: 10.1037/a0020054
- Janse, E. (2008). Spoken word processing in aphasia. Effects of item overlap and item repetition. Brain and Language, 105 (3), 185-198. doi: 10.1016/j.bandl.2007.10.002
- Janse, E. (2004). Word perception in fast speech: artificially time-compressed vs. naturally produced fast speech. Speech Communication, 42 (2), 155-173. doi: 10.1016/j.specom.2003.07.001 (Reprint)
Research grants and prizes
- 2006 - NWO Veni grant (208 k€) on speech comprehension problems in older age
- 2010 - NWO-Vidi grant (782 k€) on 'what makes a good listener': individual differences in speech perception ability
- 2016 - ENRICH European Training Network (309 k€) for Radboud University (2 PhD students)
- 2016 - Strategic Fellowship for a research visit to New Zealand Institute of Brain and Behavior (University of Canterbury, New Zealand)