Dr L.A.C.M. van Kempen (Luuk)
Assistant professor - Cultural Anthropology and Development Studies
Assistant professor - Radboud Social Cultural Research
Dr. Luuk van Kempen is a development economist specialized in behavioral aspects of poverty.
- Particular interest in inter-generational transmission of poverty and potential interventions to break this cycle (e.g. cash transfer programmes and basic income proposals).
- Research situated at crossroads of SDG1 (‘poverty’), SDG3 (‘wellbeing’) and SDG10 (‘inequality’).
- Expertise on economic behaviour (consumption, savings, credit, insurance) of vulnerable sections of the population (e.g. informal sector, sex workers).
- Part of multidisciplinary research teams studying: civil society advocacy against large-scale land investments (Kenya); health financing (malaria elimination in Rwanda); conflict transformation (Yemen), financed by NWO/WOTRO grants.
- Conducts impact studies on anti-poverty and empowerment interventions commissioned by civil society organisations and government agencies.
- Training of ‘young professionals’ in AMID programme (Radboud Centrum Sociale Wetenschappen, RCSW).
- Country expertise: Bangladesh, Bolivia, Burundi, Colombia, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guatemala, India, Kenya, Peru, Rwanda, Yemen.
- 2020 - 2021 The impact of COVID-19 on Dutch charitable organizations, in cooperation with Centraal Bureau Fondsenwerving (CBF) More information
- 2020 - 2021 Impact study of Young Africa's franchise-based TVET program in Mozambique and Zimbabwe More information
- 2017 - 2019 Civil society engagement with land rights advocacy in Kenya: what role to play? (Grant no. W.08.311.108) More information
- 2015 - 2016 The 2013 National Dialogue Conference (NDC) in Yemen: Why did it fail to prevent conflict? (Grant no. W 08.400.113) More information
- 19 April 2021 - "Coronacrisis treft vooral kleine goede doelen in de portemonnee", NOS (newsfeed) More information
- 08 February 2021 - "Wereldwijd nemen inkomens af door coronacrisis", NRC (Dutch newspaper) More information
- 15 October 2020 - "Goede doelen ook geraakt tijdens de coronacrisis", Nieuwsuur (Dutch TV) More information