Prof. A.V. Kimel (Aleksei)
Professor - Ultrafast Spectroscopy of Correlated Materials
6525 AJ NIJMEGEN
Internal postal code: 78
A. V. Kimel is in an expert in the area of ultrafast spectroscopy of condensed matter with an emphasis on magnetism and ultrafast magnetization dynamics. He is actively involved in the development of novel approaches for ultrafast and energy efficient magnetic recording with light, manipulation, control and detection of spin waves and spin currents in the THz spectral range (THz magnonics and THz spintronics).Research theme
- Ultrafast dynamics of ferroics
- Ultrafast Spectroscopy of Correlated Materials
- A. V. Kimel, A. Kirilyuk, A. A. Tsvetkov, R. V. Pisarev and Th. Rasing, Laser-induced ultrafast spin reorientation in the antiferromagnet TmFeO3, Nature 49, 850 (2004).
- A. V. Kimel, A. Kirilyuk, P.A. Usachev, R.V. Pisarev, A.M. Balbashov and Th. Rasing, Ultrafast non-thermal control of magnetization by instantaneous photomagnetic pulses, Nature 435, 655 (2005).
- C. D. Stanciu, A. Tsukamoto, A. V. Kimel, F. Hansteen, A. Kirilyuk, A. Itoh & Th. Rasing: All-optical magnetic recording with circularly polarized light, Physical Review Letters 99, 047601 (2007).
- T.A. Ostler, J. Barker, R.F.L. Evans, R.W. Chantrell, U. Atxitia, O. Chubykalo-Fesenko, S. El Moussaoui, L. Le Guyader, E. Mengotti, L.J. Heyderman, F. Nolting, A. Tsukamoto, A. Itoh, D. Afanasiev, B.A. Ivanov, A.M. Kalashnikova, K. Vahaplar, J. Mentink, A. Kirilyuk, Th. Rasing and A.V. Kimel: Ultrafast heating as a sufficient stimulus for magnetization reversal in a ferrimagnet, Nature-Communications 3, 666 (2012).
- I. Radu, K. Vahaplar, C. Stamm, T. Kachel, N. Pontius, H. A. Durr, T. A. Ostler, J. Barker, R. F. L. Evans, R. W. Chantrell, A. Tsukamoto, A. Itoh, A. Kirilyuk, Th. Rasing, and A. V. Kimel: Transient ferromagnetic-like state mediating ultrafast reversal of antiferromagnetically coupled spins, Nature 472 205-208 (2011).
H index: 48
Research grants and prizes
- 2017 - Radboud Science Award 2017> More information
- 2004 - VENI fellowship (Subpicosecond spin dynamics and ultrafast kinetics at antiferromagneticphase transitions) More information
- 2006 - VIDI fellowship (Femtosecond opto-magnetism:quantum control of spins and advanced spin-sensitive spectroscopy) More information
- 2017 - VICI fellowship. (Cold Opto-Magnetic Switching at the Edge of Time) More information
Member of the Scientific Advisory Board at FELBE
(free-electron laser (FEL) at the Electron Linear accelerator with high Brilliance and Low Emittance (ELBE))
(01 January 2014)
Helmholtz Centrum Dresden-Rossendorf
Member of the Proposal Review Panel at FERMI
(Free Electron laser Radiation for Multidisciplinary Investigations)
(01 January 2016)
Elettra Syncrotrone Trieste
Member of a Proposal Review Panel at European XFEL in Hamburg
(01 January 2018)
European X-ray Free Electron Laser