Dr E.M. Koch (Eva)
Teacher - Department of Language and Communication
Eva Koch is currently a lecturer at the department for Language and Communication.
In the past, she studied French, Spanish and German linguistics and literature at the KU Leuven, followed by a specialization in experimental psycholinguistics at the Radboud University. Thereafter, she became a PhD candidate at the VUB under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Alex Housen and Dr. Aline Godfroid. Her research investigated the acquisition and processing of difficult morphosyntactic features in a second language, incorporating learning experiments and eye-tracking. She temporarily joined the scientific team of the Centrum voor Taal en Onderwijs (KU Leuven) to help develop KOALA, a Dutch language screening for kindergarteners.
- Koch, E. M., Bulté, B., Housen, A., & Godfroid, A. (2021). Using verb morphology to predict subject number in L1 and L2 sentence processing: A visual-world eye-tracking experiment. Journal of the European Second Language Association, 5(1), 115–132. doi: 10.22599/jesla.79 Full text
- Koch, E. M., de Vos, J. F., Housen, A., Godfroid, A., & Lemhöfer, K. (2023). Learning second language morphosyntax in dialogue under explicit and implicit conditions: An experimental study with advanced adult learners of German. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 1–14. doi: 10.1017/ S1366728922000797 Full text
- Koch, E. M., Bulté, B., Housen, A., & Godfroid, A. (2023). The predictive processing of number information in subregular verb morphology in a first and second language. Applied Psycholinguistics, 1–34. doi: 10.1017/S014271642300022X Full text
Research grants and prizes
- 2015 - PhD grant by Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek (FWO)
- 2015 - 2022 PhD research at VUB: “The acquisition and processing of a subregular morphosyntactic structure in German as a second language”
- 2020 - 2021 Development of KOALA, a Dutch language screening for kindergarteners. (Centrum voor Taal en Onderwijs, KU Leuven) More information
- Algemene academische vaardigheden
- Bachelor's thesis
- Interaction Analysis
- Onderzoeksmethodologie II
- Research Master thesis
- Research Methodology II
- Strategic Alliances German: Communications in Culture and Economy
- Study Abroad: Academia and Society
- Think tank: Multilingualism in Europe
Guest lecturer of the course "English Linguistics - The Acquisition of English" (study program: Multilingual Master in Linguistics and Literary Studies).
(01 October 2022 - 30 September 2024)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel