Dr D. Kostic (Daniel)
Radboud Excellence Initiative Fellow - Institute for Science in Society
The overarching theme of my research is understanding the scientific explanation. In the last couple of years, I have been working on a comprehensive account of topological explanations, especially in neuroscience. Work on topological explanations has led me to a larger, more normative issue of any successful explanation. I am currently developing a set of epistemic norms that can be universally applied to both causal and non-causal explanations.
In 2016 I won a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellowship for my project "Philosophical Foundations of Topological Explanations" (Acronym: TOPEX, GA n°: 703662).
I have organized and run many international workshops and conferences, the most recent of which is the annual workshop series “Scientific Understanding and Representation (SURe)” which I co-founded with Kareem Khalifa. The aim of the workshop series is to explore the connections between representations, idealizations, and scientific understanding.
I received my Ph.D. degree in philosophy from Humboldt University in Berlin. I was a visiting Ph.D. student at King's College London where I worked with Professor David Papineau who was also one of my Ph.D. examiners.
- Theories of scientific explanation
- Kostić, D. and Khalifa, K. (2022). "Decoupling Topological Explanations from Mechanisms.” Philosophy of Science, DOI: 10.1017/psa.2022.29. Full text
- Kostić, D., & Khalifa, K. (2021). The directionality of topological explanations. Synthese, 199(5), 14143-14165. Full text
- Kostić, D. (2020). “General Theory of Topological Explanations and Explanatory Asymmetry”. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 375: 20190321 Full text
- Kostić, D. (2019). “Minimal Structure Explanations, Scientific Understanding and Explanatory Depth”, Perspectives on Science, 27 (1), 48-67. Full text
- Kostić, D. (2018). “The Topological Realization”. Synthese, 195(1), 79-98. Full text
Research grants and prizes
- 2016 - Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellowship (EU’s H2020-MSCA-IF-2015 Programme). Total amount: 185.076 €. Acronym: TOPEX, GA n°: 703662. More information
- 2016 - European Philosophy of Science Association Fellowship at the IHPST (CNRS/Université Paris I Sorbonne). Total amount: 1.905 €
- 2012 - Research Grant of the Provincial Secretariat for Higher Education and Scientific Research (Serbia). Total amount: 11.032 €.
- 2009 - Villigst grant for a research stay at King’s College London. Total amount: 5.000 €.
- 2007 - Villigst Doctoral Scholarship. Total amount: 41.400 €.