Prof. G.L.M. Kraaykamp (Gerbert)
Professor - Radboud Social Cultural Research
Professor - Sociology
Thomas van Aquinostraat 4
6525 GD NIJMEGEN
In his research, Prof. Gerbert Kraaykamp focuses on the intergenerational transmission of social inequality. Especially, the issue how aspects of a parental upbringing and socialization affect a person’s educational career is a core topic of research. In this respect gender differences receive specific attention. Additionally, Kraaykamp investigates the consequences of educational differentiation for high-brow cultural involvement, sports participation, health behaviors and opinions on sexuality, marriage and gender roles. Kraaykamp’s foremost employs quantitative-empirical research methods, and focuses on both longitudinal and cross-national comparisons.
Kraaykamp has been coordinator of various datacollections, respectively European Social Survey (ESS: Netherlands), Family Survey Dutch Populatio (FSDP), Netherlands Longitudinal Lifecourse Survey (NELLS), Social and Cultural Developments in the Netherlands (SOCON).
- Radboud Social Cultural Research
- Loh, R., G. Kraaykamp & M. Van Hek (2023). Student ICT resources and intergenerational transmission of educational inequality: Testing implications of a reproduction and mobility perspective, European Sociological review (accepted). Full text
- Bussemakers, C. & G. Kraaykamp (2020). Youth adversity, parental resources and educational attainment: Contrasting a resilience and a reproduction perspective. Research in Social Stratification and Mobility, 67, 100505. Full text
- van Hek, M., Buchmann, C., & Kraaykamp, G. (2019). Educational systems and gender differences in reading: A comparative multilevel analysis. European Sociological Review, 35(2), 169-186. Full text
- Van Hek, M. & G. Kraaykamp (2013). Cultural consumption across countries: a multi-level analysis of social Inequality in highbrow culture in Europe. Poetics, 41, 3, 323-341. Full text
- Kraaykamp, G. & K. van Eijck (2010). The Intergenerational Reproduction of Cultural Capital: A Threefold Perspective. Social Forces, 89, 1, 209-231. Full text
- Researcher ID: D-1017-2012
- Radboud Repository
- Research Information Services (RIS)
- Scholar Google Gerbert Kraaykamp
H index: 50
Research grants and prizes
- 2020 - GAK-Netspar (2020-160). Understanding old-age inequality. Hoofdaanvrager Dr. M. Visser (RU), Nijmegen, 2020. (250 K€).
- 2020 - ZonMw-Covid19 (10430032010016). Ongelijkheid in sport en bewegen onder COVID-19. Hoofdaanvrager Dr. R. Hoekman (RU/Mulier Instituut), Nijmegen, 2020. (400 K€).
- 2019 - Nwo-NWA (1160.18.249). TRansition Into Active Living: TRIAL. Hoofdaanvrager: Prof. B. Steenbergen, Nijmegen, (1.743 K€).
- 2019 - Nwo-PROO (40518300009). ICT-competency and inequality in student performance. What roles do family-, school- and country-level factors play. Nijmegen, (250 K€).
- 2017 - Nwo-Talent (2017) (project 40617504). Youth adversity and educational inequalities. The interrelation between parental resources, youth adversities and children’s education outcomes. Applicant Prof.dr. G. Kraaykamp, Researcher C. Bussemaker, RU/ICS, Nijmegen. (250 K€).>
Board Member ICS (Interuniversity Centre for Social Science Theory and Methodology)
(01 January 2008)
Member ODISSEI data collection advisory committee
(01 October 2020)