Prof. H.F. de Leeuw (Frank Erik)
Professor - Faculty of Medical Sciences (Radboudumc)
Principal Investigator - Donders Center of Medical Neurosciences
Principal Investigator - Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour
- firstname.lastname@example.org (press office)
- 024-3618910 (press office)
Reinier Postlaan 4
6525 GC NIJMEGEN
Internal postal code: 943
Frank-Erik de Leeuw is a professor in cerebrovascular disease, with an emphasis on young stroke and cerebral small vessel disease.
Clinically he works as a vascular neurologist at the department of Neurology of the Radboud University Medical Centre. His main interest in on causes and cognitive consequences of cerebrovascular disease in the young and elderly. There is a broad spectrum of cerebrovascular disease ranging from acute symptomatic intracerebral hemorrhages and cerebral infarcts to the more chronic white matter lesions and microbleeds, the latter usually going clinically unnoticed. Central in his research are clinical observations, that are being translated to an applied research question. The subsequent answers are taken back to the clinic. Cognitive and behavioral dysfunction and recovery after cerebrovascular disease are central in his research in which neuroepidemiology, neuroimaging and neuropsychology provide the methodological backbone of the often large cohorts studies that have been founded by the group.
De Leeuw is the founder and principal investigator of the
- RUNDMC study, a prospective study on causes and consequences of cerebral small vessel disease (baseline started in 2006).
- FUTURE study, the worlds’ largest study with the longest follow up on causes and consequences of young stroke (baseline started in 2009).
- ODYSSEY study, a nationwide multicenter prospective cohort study on on causes and consequences of young stroke (baseline started in 2013).
In addition he participated in several, both investigator and industry initiated, clinical trials and cohort studies (ESPRIT, PASS, DIAGRAM, MRCLEAN, PSI, PERFORM and DUST).
- Gons RA, Tuladhar AM, de Laat KF, van Norden AG, Norris DG, Zwiers MP, de Leeuw FE. Physical activity is related to the structural integrity of cerebral white matter. Neurology 2013, August 6, epub Ahead of print.
- Rutten-Jacobs L, Arntz R, Maaijwee N, Schoonderwaldt H, Dorresteijn L, van Dijk EJ, de Leeuw F-E. Long-term risk of recurrent vascular events after young stroke: the FUTURE study. Annals of Neurology 2013; Jun 17. doi: 10.1002/ana.23953
- Rutten-Jacobs L, Arntz R, Maaijwee N, Schoonderwaldt H, Dorresteijn L, van Dijk EJ, de Leeuw F-E. Long-Term Mortality After Stroke Among Adults Aged 18-50 Years. JAMA 2013;309:1136-44.
- Joanna M Wardlaw, Eric E Smith, Geert J Biessels, Charlotte Cordonnier, Franz Fazekas,Richard Frayne, Richard I. Lindley, John T O'Brien, Oscar R Benavente, Sandra Black, Carol Brayne PhD, Monique Breteler, Hugues Chabriat, Charles DeCarli, Frank-Erik de Leeuw, Fergus Doubal, Marco Duering,Nick Fox, Steven Greenberg, Vladimir Hachinski, Ingo Kilimann, Vincent Mok, Robert van Oostenbrugge, Leonardo Pantoni, Oliver Speck, Blossom CM Stephan, Stefan Teipel, Anand Viswanathan, David Werring, Christopher Chen, Colin Smith, Mark van Buchem, Bo Norrving, Philp B Gorelick, Martin Dichgans. Neuroimaging standards for research into small vessel disease and its contribution to ageing and neurodegeneration: a united approach. STandards for ReportIng Vascular Changes on NEuroimaging. Lancet Neurology 2013;12:822-838.
- Gons RA, van Norden AG, de Laat KF, van Oudheusden LJ, van Uden IW, Norris DG, Zwiers MP, de Leeuw FE. Cigarette smoking is associated with reduced microstructural integrityof cerebral white matter. Brain 2011;134:2116-24
H index: 25
Research grants and prizes
- 2012 - Small vessels, big trouble. VIDI innovational grant from ZonMW>
- 2007 - Dementia and small vessel disease. Clinical fellowship from ZonMW>
- 2004 - Diffusion tensor imaging in cerebral white matter lesions. Fellowship of the Dutch Brain Foundation>
- 2004 - European Neurological Society Research Award>
Associate editor international journal of stroke
(01 January 2020)
Member wetenschappelijke adviesraad van de Hartstichting
(01 January 2019)