Prof. K.M. Lemhöfer (Kristin)
Principal Investigator - Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour
Professor - Psycholinguïstics
Thomas van Aquinostraat 4
6525 GD NIJMEGEN
6500 HE NIJMEGEN
Very generally speaking, in my group, we investigate the neurocognition of bi- and multilingualism. Some of our projects are concerned with how second language (L2) speakers process and learn (or don't learn) from the input they receive from their natural environment. The challenge in this line of research is to study a natural phenomenon (L2 learning) under strictly controlled experimental circumstances. We do this by using behavioral and neurocognitive (e.g., event-related potentials in the EEG) methods. Other research interests include:
- the role of episodic memory in L2 word learning
- individual differences in L2 pronunciation ability, and word and grammar learning
- L2 attrition (forgetting)
- language control and error monitoring in bilinguals
- language conflict in trilingual word production
- visual word recognition in bilinguals and trilinguals
- the processing of morphologically complex words in first and second language speakers
- LexTALE: a short but valid test of English (or Dutch or German) vocabulary size.
- Brandt, A. C., Schriefers, H., & Lemhöfer, K. (2022). A laboratory study of naturalistic second language learning: Acquiring grammatical gender from simple dialogue. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 48(5), 658–679. doi:10.1037/xlm0001068
- Lemhöfer, K., Schriefers, H., & Indefrey, P. (2020). Syntactic processing in L2 depends on perceived reliability of the input: Evidence from P600 responses to correct input. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 46, 1948-1965. doi:10.1037/xlm0000895 Full text
- Mickan, A., McQueen, J. M., & Lemhöfer, K. (2020). Between-language competition as a driving force in foreign language attrition. Cognition, 198, 104218. doi:10.1016/j.cognition.2020.104218 Full text
- Lemhöfer, K., Schriefers, H., & Indefrey, P. (2014). Idiosyncratic grammars: Syntactic processing in second language comprehension uses subjective feature representations. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 26(7), 1428–1444. doi: 10.1162/jocn_a_00609
- Lemhöfer, K. & Broersma, M. (2012). Introducing LexTALE: A quick and valid Lexical Test for Advanced Learners of English. Behavior Research Methods, 44(2), 325-343. doi: 10.3758/s13428-011-0146-0 Full text
Research grants and prizes
- 2022 - ERC consolidator grant
- 2013 - Aspasia grant NWO>
- 2013 - VIDI grant NWO>
- 2007 - VENI grant NWO>
- 2022 - 2027 ERC consolidator project "Multiple routes to L2 memory: individual and situational factors"
- 2014 - 2019 NWO vidi project "Tracking second language acquisition through the wilds of natural language immersion: A cognitive-experimental approach"
- 2016 - 2020 Forgetting a second language (L2 attrition)
- 2016 - 2020 Determinants of second language pronunciation ability
Associate Editor for the Journal 'Cognition'
(01 March 2022 - 31 December 2024)