Prof. E. Mastenbroek (Ellen)
Department chairman - Public Administration
Professor - Public Administration
Prof. dr. Ellen Mastenbroek is professor of European Public Policy. In 2000, she graduated with honours in political science and public administration from Radboud University. In 2007, she defended her dissertation on the transposition of EC directives in the Netherlands (Leiden University). Her main research interests are the Europeanization of national governments and EU policy delivery: the implementation, enforcement and evaluation of European Union law.
She has coordinated and conducted various contracted research projects, amongst others on the Europeanization of legislative drafting (Ministry of Justice), the position of Dutch provinces in EU policy making (Association of Provinces of the Netherlands) and the functioning of the Early Warning System (Dutch House of Representatives). At present, she conducts research into the role of European Administrative Networks in EU implementation, together with Dorte Sindbjerg Martinsen and Reini Schrama, made possible by a grant from the Danish Council for Independent Research.
Currently, Ellen Mastenbroek supervises five PhD projects (Ruud van Druenen, Kris van der Pas, Sybren Hardiek, Roos Entius and Emma Leenders). She is coordinator of EUROPAL, a multidisciplinary research group on Europeanization of Politics, Administration and Law based at Radboud University (together with prof. Henri de Waele). She is visiting professor at the Department of Political Science, University of Copenhagen and member of the editorial advisory board of West European Politics. In addition, she is chair of the Department of Public Administration at Radboud University.
- Mastenbroek, E., Schrama, R. & Sindbjerg Martinsen, D. (2022). The political drivers of information exchange: Explaining interactions int he European Migration Network. Journal of European Public Policy, 1-21. doi: 10.1080/13501763.2022.2071455 Full text
- Martinsen, D.S., Schrama, R.M. & Mastenbroek, E. (2021). Who Interacts with Whom? Drivers of Networked Welfare Governance in Europe. British Journal of Political Science, 51 (4), 1636-1653. doi: 10.1017/S0007123420000204 Full text
- Dörrenbächer, N. & Mastenbroek, E. (2019). Passing the buck? Analysing the delegation of discretion after EU transposition. Regulation & Governance, 13 (1), 70-85. doi: 10.1111/rego.12153 Full text
- Mastenbroek, E. & Sindbjerg Martinsen, D. (2018). Filling the gap in the European administrative space: The role of administrative networks in EU implementation and enforcement. Journal of European Public Policy, 25 (3), 422-435. doi: 10.1080/13501763.2017.1298147 Full text
- Mastenbroek, E. (2017). Guardians of EU law? Analysing roles and behaviour of Dutch legislative drafters involved in EU compliance. Journal of European Public Policy, 24 (9), 1289-1307. doi: 10.1080/13501763.2017.1314537 Full text
- Mastenbroek, E., Voorst, S. van & Meuwese, A. (2016). Closing the regulatory cycle? A meta evaluation of ex-post legislative evaluations by the European Commission. Journal of European Public Policy, 23 (9), 1329-1348. doi: 10.1080/13501763.2015.1076874
- Dörrenbächer, N., Mastenbroek, E. & Toshkov, D. (2015). National Parliaments and Transposition of EU Law: A Matter of Coalition Conflict? Journal of Common Market Studies, 53 (5), 1010-1026. doi: 10.1111/jcms.12242
- Tholen, J.H.M.M. & Mastenbroek, E. (2013). Guardians of the Law or Loyal Administrators? Toward a Refined Administrative Ethos for Legislative Drafters. Administrative Theory & Praxis, 35 (4), 487-507. doi: 10.2753/ATP1084-1806350401
- Mastenbroek, E. & Princen, S. (2010). Time for EU matters: the europeanization of Dutch central government. Public Administration, 88 (1), 154-169. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9299.2010.01797.x
- Mastenbroek, E. & Veen, T. van (2008). Forum Section. Last Words on Delegation? Examining The Powers of the Union. European Union Politics, 9 (2), 295-311. doi: 10.1177/1465116508089089 Full text
- Mastenbroek, E. & Kaeding, M. (2006). Europeanization beyond the goodness of fit: Domestic politics in the forefront. Comparative European Politics, 4 (4), 331-354. doi: 10.1057/palgrave.cep.6110078 Full text
- Mastenbroek, E. (2005). EU compliance: Still a 'black hole'? Journal of European Public Policy, 12 (6), 1103-1120. doi: 10.1080/13501760500270869 Full text
- Mastenbroek, E. (2003). Surviving the deadline: The transposition of EU directives in the Netherlands. European Union Politics, 4 (4), 371-395. doi: 10.1177/146511650344001
Research grants and prizes
- 2017 - Project Title: The Role of Administrative Networks in European Union ImplementationGrant Recipient: Dorte Sindbjerg MartinsenPlace of Employment: University of CopenhagenAwarded Amount: DKK 4,499,035> More information
- 2017 - Closing the regulatory cycle? Ex-post legislative evaluation in the European UnionProf. dr. A.C.M. Meuwese, Dr. E. Mastenbroek (co-promotor), Prof. dr. S. van Thiel (co-promotor), Tilburg University, Staatsrecht en Bestuursrecht Uitvoerend onderzoeker: Dhr. S. van VoorstThe European Union suffers from a pressing legitimacy deficit, due to its weak democratic credentials. It thus must build legitimacy differently: by ensuring that its laws effectively solve societal problems. A crucial instrument for enhancing problem-solving effectiveness is ex-post evaluation of legislation. Surprisingly, there is no systematic empirical knowledge of this crucial last stage of the regulatory cycle. This project will describe and explain how often and how well the European Commission evaluates its legislation ex-post. It will do so using two novel datasets, and an innovative theoretical framework integrating insights from public administration, political science, and EU law.> More information
- 2017 - 2022 European Administrative Networks project website More information
Guest professor, Copenhagen University, Deptartment of Political Science