Dr F.P.G.B.M. Meens (Floris)
Assistant professor - Department of History, Art History and Classics
Assistant professor - Radboud Institute for Culture and History
6525 HT NIJMEGEN
6500 HD NIJMEGEN
Since 2010, I have been working as a cultural historian at Radboud University. I am particularly interested in the modern history of music, social relations, emotions, travel, tradition and innovation, and cultural criticism.
After studying in Nijmegen and Rome, I was a lecturer and chair of the cultural history department at ArtEZ University of the Arts. I then worked as a senior lecturer at HAN University of Applied Sciences and at CITO. My PhD research was part of Stanford University's Salons Project. Supported by various grants and fellowships, I spent extended periods abroad, including in Rome (KNIR), Vienna and Berlin (Prince Bernhard Fellowship). Funded by a VENI grant from NWO, I was a visiting professor at the Institut für Musikwissenschaft of the University of Vienna in 2022. During the winter of 2022-2023, I was visiting scholar at Columbia University, New York.
At Radboud University, I mainly lecture on modern cultural and music history. Currently, I am chair of the History BA and MA programmes.
I am editor in chief of The International Journal for History, Culture and Modernity. I am also editor of De Moderne Tijd, as well as Ex Tempore, and represent my research institute RICH in the editorial board of Radboud University Press.
In my spare time, I am artistic programmer of the Nijmegen Chamber Music Foundation, and member of the board of the Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century.
- Meens, F.P.G.B.M. (2023). Playing, hiding, and seeking. The domestic(ated) celebrity of Emma Brandes (1853-1940). Image & Narrative, 24 (2), 78-99. Full text
- Meens, F.P.G.B.M., Sintobin, T.M.J. & Cober, C.J.W. (Eds.). (2023-2023). Ecce Mulier: Female Celebrity Culture and the Visual Arts around 1900 [Special issue]. Image & Narrative, 24(2). Full text
- Meens, F.P.G.B.M. (2022). Sounds of Decline. Cultural Criticism in the Dutch Debate on the Future of Classical Music. Journal of Music Criticism, 6, 1-38. Full text
- Meens, F.P.G.B.M. (2021). How to Approach Salons? A Fin-de-siècle Italian Case Study. Cultural & Social History, 18 (3), 337-420. doi: 10.1080/14780038.2018.1427356 Full text
- Meens, F.P.G.B.M. (2021). Kinderen, sociale relaties en muziek. Een emotiehistorische analyse van de jeugd van Alphons Diepenbrock. Tijdschrift van de Koninklijke Vereniging voor Nederlandse Muziekgeschiedenis, LXX, 175-204. Full text
- Meens, F.P.G.B.M. (Ed.). (2021). Ten strijde tegen het verval. Cultuurkritiek in diachroon en internationaal perspectief. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press
- Meens, F.P.G.B.M. (2020). Eine heillose Geschichte! The Discourse on Publishers in Dutch Music Journals (ca. 1839-1860). In M. Massimilano Sala (Ed.), Music Publishers and Composers (1750-1850) (Speculum Musicae, 37) (pp. 145-166). Turnhout: Brepols
- Meens, F.P.G.B.M. (2019). Connecting the peninsula and beyond: Italian intellectual networks of the early modern and modern period. An introduction. Incontri : Rivista Europea di Studi Italiani, 34 (1), 5-18. doi: 10.18352/incontri.10282 Full text
- Meens, F.P.G.B.M. (2019). ‘Un’aiuola fioritissima, i cui mirabili e svariati fiori si alternano e si succedono senza interruzione’ Ersilia Caetani-Lovatelli’s fin de siècle (intellectual) networking and (its) politics. Incontri : Rivista Europea di Studi Italiani, 34 (1), 68-82. doi: 10.18352/incontri.10286 Full text
- Meens, F.P.G.B.M. & Sintobin, T.M.J. (Ed.). (2018). Gender, Companionship, and Travel. Discourses in Pre-modern and Modern Travel Literature (Routledge International Studies of Women and Place). London: Routledge doi: 10.4324/9780429507632
- Meens, F.P.G.B.M. (2016). The Elegant Science of Antiquity. Ersilia Caetani-Lovatelli, Archaeology, and Travel Writing in Fin-de-Siècle Italy. Lit : Literature, Interpretation, Theory, 27 (2), 111-129. doi: 10.1080/10436928.2016.1167002 Full text
- Derks, M.E.B., Eickhoff, M., Ensel, R. & Meens, F.P.G.B.M. (Ed.). (2015). What's Left Behind. The Lieux de Mémoires of Europe beyond Europe. Nijmegen: Vantilt
Research grants and prizes
- 2018 - Dutch Research Council, Innovational Research Incentive Scheme: VENI
- 2017 - Dutch Foundation for Literature, Biography grant
- Prince Bernhard Fellowship, for research visits to Vienna and Paris
- Various scholarships of the Royal Netherlands Institute in Rome (KNIR)
- 2006 - Young Talent Award of the Royal Netherlands Institute in Rome (KNIR)
- 2019 - 2023 In 2018 I was awarded a VENI-grant (€ 250.000) by the NWO (Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research) for my research project Connected through Music: Domestic Music, Emotions and Social Relations in The Netherlands and Germany, ca. 1815-1914. The project questions the meaning of music (making) to people in the pivotal age of the rise of the modern public and private concert. It argues that to fully understand the historical significance of music, it is essential to study its relation to emotions and social interactions. My project examines how domestic music and related emotions enabled individuals to connect with each other, focussing on actors and settings that have not been sufficiently studied yet, including prisons and mental hospitals. It also examines how private social life influenced the reception of certain compositions, music genres and styles. With this project I intend to contribute to the current debate about the future of classical music culture.
- 2016 - My Veni-project relates to the comprehensive and systematic history of salons that I am preparing together with an international group of colleagues, coordinated by Stanford University and Memphis University. More information
- 2017 - 2025 Funded with a grant of the Dutch Foundation of Literature I am working on a biography of the Dutch travel author and journalist Maurits Wagenvoort (1859-1944)
- Bachelorwerkstuk Geschiedenis
- Master's Thesis Ancient and Medieval Mediterranean Worlds
- Masterscriptie Geschiedenis en Actualiteit
- Masterscriptie Politiek en Parlement
- Mentoraat en studievaardigheden Geschiedenis
- Nieuwste Tijd I
- Nieuwste Tijd II
- Projectcollege: ‘Wat zou jij doen?’ 80 jaar vrijheid. Persoonlijke oorlogsverhalen uit het Rivierenland
- Stageminor 15 EC
- Themacollege Daar zit muziek in. Muziek, emoties en sociale relaties in de negentiende en twintigste eeuw
- Thesis Colloquium Research Master
- 04 September 2021 - Universiteit van Nederland, live in Paradiso & web lecture More information
- 21 October 2022 - Interview + research for a Zembla documentary on music education in The Netherlands More information
- 21 April 2020 - Interview on NPO Radio 1 about my Veni-project on music, social relationships and emotions in the 19th century. More information
- 17 August 2023 - Interview NPO Radio 1 about the history and meaning of festivals. More information