Prof. L.P.J.J. Noldus (Lucas)
Professor - Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour
Professor - Neurophysics
My chair “Behavior, information technology and innovation” consists of three pillars: research, teaching and innovation. My research is aimed at the discovery and development of new techniques for automatic behavioral recording in animals and humans. The topics are quite diverse and include generic AI models for behavior recognition in rodents and human infants, vocalizations in mice, EEG and behavior in mice, learning tasks in zebrafish, eye tracking in MS patients, and motion analysis in visually impaired people. As a teacher, I lecture in bachelor and master courses, including Methods in Neuroscience, Animal Ecology and Science, Management and Innovation. Last but not least, I try to build bridges between the Radboud University and companies in the field of behavior (of animals and humans) and technology, by stimulating entrepreneurship, coaching of startups and valorization of inventions within the Faculty of Science, in cooperation with Radboud Innovation and Radboud AI.
- Grieco, F.; Bernstein, B.J.; Biemans, B.; Bikovski, L.; Burnett, C.J.; Cushman, J.D.; van Dam, E.A.; Fry, S.A.; Hacham, B.R.; Homberg, J.R.; Kas, M.J.H.; Kessels, H.W.; Koopmans, B.; Krashes, M.J.; Krishnan, V.; Logan, S.; Loos, M.; McCann, K.E.; Parduzi, Q.; Pick, C.G.; Prevot, T.D.; Riedel, G.; Robinson, L.; Sadighi, M.; Smit, A.B.; Sonntag, W.; Roelofs, R.F.; Tegelenbosch, R.A.J.; Noldus, L.P.J.J. (2021). Measuring behavior in the home cage: Study design, applications, challenges, and perspectives. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, 15, 735387.
- Baran, S.W.; Bratcher, N.; Dennis, J.; Gaburro, S.; Karlsson, E.M.; Maguire, S.; Makidon, P.; Noldus, L.P.J.J.; Potier, Y.; Rosati, G.; Ruiter, M.; Schaevitz, L.; Sweeney, P.; LaFollette, M.R. (2022). Emerging role of translational digital biomarkers within home cage monitoring technologies in preclinical drug discovery and development. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, 15, 758274.
- Dam, E.A. van; Noldus, L.P.J.J.; van Gerven, M.A.J. (2020). Deep learning improves automated rodent behavior recognition within a specific experimental setup. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 332, 108536.
- Dam, E.A. van; van der Harst, J.E.; ter Braak, C.J.F.; Tegelenbosch, R.A.J.; Spruijt, B.M.; Noldus, L.P.J.J. (2013). An automated system for the recognition of various specific rat behaviours. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 218, 214-224.
- Arroyo-Araujo, M.; Graf, R.; Maco, M.; van Dam, E.; Schenker, E.; Drinkenburg, W.; Koopmans, B.; de Boer, S.F.; Cullum-Doyle, M.; Noldus, L.P.J.J.; Loos, M.; van Dommelen, W.; Spooren, W.; Biemans, B.; Buhl, D.L.; Kas, M.J. (2019). Reproducibility via coordinated standardization: A multi-center study in a Shank2 genetic rat model for Autism Spectrum Disorders. Scientific Reports, 9, 11602.
(11 January 1989)
Noldus Information Technology BV, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Member, Expert Group
(03 February 2021)
Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence
Chairman, Advisory Board
(11 January 2021)
Wildlife Forensic Academy, South Africa
Vice Chairman, Communications Committee
(09 January 2019)
International Council of Academies of Engineering and Technological Sciences
Secretary for International Affairs
(01 January 2017)
Netherlands Academy of Technology and Innovation
(01 January 2011)
Man-Machine Interaction Platform
Member, Advisory Committee Aerospace Operations
(01 January 2017)
NLR - National Aerospace Centre
Member, Working Group “Translational Digital Biomarkers”
(01 January 2020)
North American 3Rs Collaborative