Prof. C.R. Palmerino (Carla Rita)
Programme coordinator Researchmaster Philosophy - Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies
Director of research - Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies
Professor - History of Philosophy
6525 HT NIJMEGEN
6500 HD NIJMEGEN
My research focuses on the history of early modern science and philosophy, and more specifically on the metaphysical and epistemological foundations of natural philosophy. Many of my publications deal with theories of space, time and matter, and with early modern discussions concerning the ontological status of mathematical entities. I am also interested in the role of thought experiments in early modern science and philosophy.
- Bakker, F.A. & Palmerino, C.R. (2020). Motion to the Center or Motion to the Whole? Plutarch’s Views on Gravity and Their Influence on Galileo. Isis, 111 (2), 217-238. doi: 10.1086/709138
- Palmerino, C.R. (2018). Discussing What Would Happen: The Role of Thought Experiments in Galileo’s Dialogues. Philosophy of Science, 85 (5), 906-918. doi: 10.1086/699717 Full text
- Palmerino, C.R. (2016). Geschichte des Kontinuumproblems or Notes on Fromondus’s Labyrinthus? On the True Nature of LH XXXVII, IV, 57 r°-58v°. The Leibniz Review, 26, 63-97.
- Palmerino, C.R. (2011). 'Galileo's Use of Medieval Thought Experiments'. In K. Ierodiakonou & S. Roux (Eds.), Thought Experiments in Methodological and Historical Context (pp. 101-125). Leiden, Boston: Brill
- Palmerino, C.R. (2011). The Isomorphism of Space, Time and Matter in Seventeenth-century Natural Philosophy. Early Science and Medicine, 16, 296-330. doi: 10.1163/157338211X585858
- Palmerino, C.R. & Thijssen, J.M.M.H. (Ed.). (2004). The Reception of the Galilean Science of Motion in Seventeenth-Century Europe (Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science, 239). Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Palmerino, C.R. (1999). Infinite Degrees of Speed. Marin Mersenne and the Debate over Galileo's Law of Free Fall. Early Science and Medicine, 4, 269-328.
- Palmerino, C.R. (1999). Pierre Gassendi's De Philosophia Epicuri Universe Rediscovered. New Perspectives on the Genesis of the Syntagma philosophicum. Nuncius. Journal of the History of Science, 14, 131-162.
Research grants and prizes
- 2019 - Faculty Award 2019
- 2011 - Internationalisation Award More information
President of the
(01 January 2018)
Comitato Dante Alighieri Nijmegen-Arnhem
Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Domain Social Sciences and Humanities
(01 January 2018)
Member of the Editorial Board
Galilæana: Journal of Galilean Studies
Substantia. An International Journal of the History of Chemistry - Member of the Scientific Committee
(01 December 2020)
Firenze University Press
Physis: International Journal of the History of Science - Co-editor
(01 September 2021)