Dr A. Prins (Annemiek)
Postdoc - Cultural Anthropology and Development Studies
Postdoc - Radboud Social Cultural Research
Thomas van Aquinostraat 4
6525 GD NIJMEGEN
6500 HE NIJMEGEN
Annemiek Prins is a postdoctoral researcher with the Department of Anthropology and Development Studies. She completed her PhD with the University of Aberdeen, focusing on cycle-rickshaw drivers in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Her doctoral dissertation, “Unfixing the City: Rickshaw Mobilities, Modernities and Urban Change in Dhaka”, explores different aspects of contemporary urbanism, including: mobility, informal labour, peripheral urbanization and urban modernity. Annemiek is currently developing a new research project that looks at the construction of the Padma Bridge in Bangladesh and focuses on the intersections between urbanization, infrastructure, and environmental change within a riverine context.
Annemiek also serves on the editorial board of the anthropological journal Etnofoor.
- Prins, Annemiek. 2021. "Slippery Entanglements: Spiritual and Gendered Experiences of Uncertainty in the Riverine Context of Bengali Char lands." Religions 12 (11): 906. Full text
- Prins, Annemiek. 2021. "Earning Money as the Wheels Turn Around: Cycle-Rickshaw Drivers and Experiences of Wageless Work in Dhaka." In Beyond the Wage: Ordinary Work in Diverse Economies, edited by William Monteith, Dora-Olivia Vicol, and Philippa Williams, 187-210. Bristol: Bristol University Press.
- Prins, Annemiek. 2020. "Unfixing the City: Rickshaw Mobilities, Modernities and Urban Change in Dhaka." PhD Dissertation, School of Social Science, Department of Anthropology, University of Aberdeen.
Research grants and prizes
- 2021 - New Voices Award (for PhD Thesis), Mobile Lives Forum More information
- 2019 - ROSANNA Fund for Women, Utrecht University
- 2014 - Elphinstone Scholarship, University of Aberdeen
- 2014 - ASiA Research Grant Award, Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research
- 25 May 2022 - Prins, Annemiek, "Unfixing the City: Rickshaw Mobilities, Modernities and Urban Change in Dhaka." Mobile Lives Forum // Forum Vies Mobiles More information
- 17 November 2017 - Prins, Annemiek. “Rickshaw Restrictions: Privilege for Some, Disaster for the Puller.” The Daily Star. More information
- 10 January 2017 - Prins, Annemiek. “Voor Wie is er Plek in de Stad van de Toekomst, Auto’s of Fietsen?” De Correspondent. More information
- 01 December 2016 - Prins, Annemiek. “De Stad van de Toekomst is niet van Beton en Glas, maar van Stro en Zwerfhout.” De Correspondent. More information
- 14 February 2016 - Prins, Annemiek. “De Kracht van de Sloppenwijk: Nooit Alleen.” De Correspondent. More information